nurse quacky question

Started by thomas2, August 21, 2004, 04:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomas2

just a quick question about the nurse quacky circuit.. what transistor can i use to substitute the 2n3904? would 2n2222 maybe work? please.. anyone?  :lol:
tee se itse tai kuole

strungout

Oy.

I have used both in the circuit and they worked fine. Basically, any NPN with the right pinout should work, tho there will be difference in sensitivity of the tranny depending on the gain.

Ciao.
"Displaying my ignorance for the whole world to teach".

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".

thomas2

yeah? the previous one i built worked fine (it had that 2n3904), but this one seems to work only when i hit the strings as hard as i can  :lol:  gonna take the transistor away and use a socket   :wink:
tee se itse tai kuole

thomas2

(and try different transistors)  :lol:
tee se itse tai kuole

thomas2

i did it  :lol:  only made it worse.. maybe those ultra cheap ic sockets aren't that good for transistor sockets  :P  now there's no sound.. though it's ok since i know there must be some problem with the transistor section :D anyways.... thanks for the quick reply
tee se itse tai kuole

Transmogrifox

In my opinion, the Dr.Q/Dri Quack/Nurse Quacky filter deal is not a good sounding set-up.  It took me a long time dinking on my breadboard before I got it to sound ok.  This included using a resistor (I think I was satisfied with 2.2k) in the emitter of the transistor, a little more series resistance (bigger than 22k)...and some more envelope follower filtering made a huge difference.

If you attenuate your signal and then amplify after the filter, it will help cure some of the added distortion.

I did find that the 3904 worked the best off all I tried.  I attempted JFETs, MOSFETs, 2N5088 and determined the 2N3904 type is best....so I think a 2222 transistor would be ok.  I think lower gain is better, so a TO22 package power BJT may be a good try, or a 2N4124 is probably not a bad choice, either.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

thomas2

i want to take the range and attack pots away.. didn't find any use for them.  :twisted:
tee se itse tai kuole

thomas2

hi again.. i just wanted to ask if someone knows how i could make the circuit more sensitive.. i tried it today with a strat and noticed that i really need to hit the strings hard when i played single notes to get it working.. i used 2n2222 for the transistor.. could that make the difference? or is there any other components i could change to make it more sensitive  :lol:
tee se itse tai kuole

thomas2

works great with humbucker pickups though..
i'm only asking because i need to know the components that have effect on the sensitivity. i really don't know how the circuit works and which components make the effect.
tee se itse tai kuole

Torchy

strungout had an article describing the circuitry in depth, not sure its still there but try http://www.freewebs.com/fkstilt/

thomas2

thanks man!!! there's an answer to just about every question i have about this circuit in that site!!  :lol: just great..
tee se itse tai kuole

strungout

now...why didn't I think of suggesting that site  :?

glad you found it useful, thomas :)

Ciao.
"Displaying my ignorance for the whole world to teach".

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".

thomas2

OOPS!!! sorry about that.. i don't know how i could have missed your post the last time  :lol:  or my memory just sucks.. who knows.. but yeah!! that site rocks.. now i have a chance to learn how envelope filters work..
and i've noticed that the first time in history i don't get so damn frustrated when these projects won't start working the first time i plug them in.. mainly because i now have some idea where to look for the problem..
i still have to get back to the anderton bi-filter i was trying to build earlier.. just thought i build a few nurse quacky's first  :lol:  but again.. thanks for the site..
tee se itse tai kuole