wah pot issues... + sweep...

Started by Branimir, August 21, 2004, 10:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Branimir

greets everyone!

i have a dunlop crybaby wich is labeled SUPER...
i bought it for 10$ or so, since it was broken... (i think that the pedal is at least 10 years old)

well the only thing broken was the pot...
and the thingy works..
that was 2 years ago..

the circuit is standard wah wah with an inductor... but without the buffer section.. although it was switched via spdt...

i did a true bypass mod...
i put a lin pot for the sweep...
i do not know what kind of inductor is in it..
(i have a photo of the pedal's insides, but i don't have a server to upload to...)
i tried different mods for "fat" tone, more treble and such...

and always, i mean always it sounds "too weak".
i tried a brand new crybaby which had a very very distincitive sounds... i mean the WAH effect was very very audible..
but with mine, it's always kinda less noticable... the pedal is working but i think either the inductor is crappy compared to these new ones, or the pot is not responding quite right to the bass/treble sweep...

my wah does that bass/treble - but i think that the peak isn't sharp enough or the most noticable range of the transition ain't so much accented as in the original wah...

i think someone mentioned fassel or something inductor????

or maybe a mod to the pot?
somekind of a trick like in reverse lin with a resistor between two lugs?

your inputs, please!

ps: i even though of putting a pedal before the wah with just a bit distortion to make that wah more expressive like i do with the easyvibe....

cheers!
Umor

Built: Fuzz Face, Small Stone, Trem Lune, Fet Muff, Big Muff (green), Fuxx Face, Son of Screamer, Rat, Rebote 2.5, Opamp Big Muff, EA Tremolo, Easyvibe, Axis Face Si

Fret Wire

Before you go and spend money, check to make sure you dont have a bad electro cap. That can cause what you describe. Also, check the pot with a DMM set on resistance to see how it ranges when you move the pedal up and down. Chances are that it's not rotating through it's range. They don't come right from the factory half the time. First thing I check when I do a wah. If it's set wrong, you'll miss part of the bass or part of the treble when you sweep. That will also sound like you describe. Hopefully you have a lin. taper pot. A log will have a different feel to the sweep.
Here's a link that describes better than I can on how to set the pot/gears up. But, like I said, use a DMM to check the pot's entire range. Then use the DMM to double check your adjusting work. I usually get them to go from 8ohms to their max value. Setting your pot right does more than replacing one does. Pots and inductors are expensive and should be done last. You can get good sounds without them.

Check the the electro's and pot first, then you may have to replace the inductor. Lack of sweep usually is the inductor, but check the cheap stuff first. You'll want the caps good and the pot properly adjusted anyway.
http://www.happybob.com/marc/pot_adjustment_procedure.htm

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/wahpedl/wahped.htm
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Branimir

thanks alot!

i'll check out the pot adjustment right away...
Umor

Built: Fuzz Face, Small Stone, Trem Lune, Fet Muff, Big Muff (green), Fuxx Face, Son of Screamer, Rat, Rebote 2.5, Opamp Big Muff, EA Tremolo, Easyvibe, Axis Face Si