Ross Compressor- Long question from newbie!

Started by jpzep, August 21, 2004, 10:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpzep

In advance, forgive any repetition here.  Want a Ross compressor, don't want to pay $200 for the pedal. ( Really just looking for Trey Anastasio type sustain).  A close relative of mine has a degree in electrical engineering but never did anything with it.  I have a very basic knowledge of electronics and know even less about wiring/soldering etc but he will help me build the project.

First question:  Is the Ross compressor project at generalguitargadgets.com a good build in terms of the closeness to the original pedal?  I've searched the forum here and have not come across a lot of posts about it and was wondering why?  Deduction is that it's not a good pedal.

Second:  I have never built anything electronic and honestly stumbled across the whole idea of building a pedal.  Though I'm totally psyched about what I've found here I'm wondering if I should even attempt this pedal,  keeping in mind that I'll have some help from someone who knows something about this.  I have noticed the beginner's project here and thought that if this went well, I would try that one by myself.  

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Samuel

First - I would say that if you don't have an interest in this hobby that you expect will continue, you may well spend the cost of the pedal just getting the necessary tools, although I don't know how many tools your relative has...but after you add up a soldering iron, solder, wire, drill bits, a multimeter (for testing if the project doesn't work right the first time around) etc etc etc you may well approach the $200. Generally speaking, the components alone for most pedals get into the $40-$50 range. Saving money is not usually the best justification for building pedals, unless you're talking about vintage and/or boutique designs.

However, I would also say that a great many people have started out just trying to get one thing built and quickly found themselves hooked. Far be it for me to discourage anybody from getting involved in this, though - I think it's extremely fun and very educational.

Also, I'm a bit skeptical about finding massive sustain in a compressor - I mean it will help, probably,  but compressors will generally just keep your signal at a more consistent level over the length of each struck note, and can tame the disparity between the volume of the pick attack and the rest of the sound. I don't listen to Phish, but I imagine that alot of his sustain comes from that nice hollow body....

travissk

I'm not a diehard Phish fan, but the guitar tone was very impressive, so I got a little info on Trey's rig about a year back.

Yes, Samuel is right. Much of Trey's tone probably comes from his guitars, which are hollowbodies. I've heard he mutes the other strings and can get some pretty heavy controlled feedback.

The compressor is placed after his two Tubescreamers. One is set pretty low, the other quite a bit higher for lead work. The compressor allows him to crank them (or have both on at the same time) while keeping overall volume level constant.

That said, the Ross might give you a little more sustain/punch and I've heard only good things about it. Couldn't hurt to build it, and you'll probably get hooked on the hobby :)

travissk

Did a quick google search - you might want to check this out (although you probably have already :))
http://www.phish.net/faq/guitar.html

Fret Wire

The Ross is different enough from the Dyna comp that some prefer it's sound. Definately worth building. You can even wire a toggle to go from the Ross to the Dyna. Never have to worry which one to build. Check out Tonepads Ross project also. They have build reports at the bottom, most liked it. Here's both links, the more info the better. If you have someone experienced to help, go for it.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/v2/index.php?option=displaypage&Itemid=175&op=page&SubMenu=

http://www.tonepad.com/project.asp?id=9
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Boofhead

QuoteI've searched the forum here and have not come across a lot of posts about it and was wondering why? Deduction is that it's not a good pedal.

So advertising and exposure is a measure of how good something is?
Maybe it works without any trouble and nobody has to ask questions?

Jay Doyle

The monetary issues listed above are valid, if you are only in it for one pedal, it probably will cost close to the same amount and more so when you factor in the amount of time involved.

That said, I got into this hobby years ago for the same reason as you. I owned and original Ross Comp before the prices when haywire and I can tell you that it is a big part of Trey's sound. Sure his guitar has a lot to do with it, along with his technique, but the comp is a huge part of his sound and building or buying one will help you achieve a good bit of his tone.

Let us know if you need any help if you do decide to take it up. I will say though that through this hobby I have built stuff designed by the great people who come to this board as well as myself that blows away the commercially available stuff. At times it even seems like the boutique builders are trying to keep up with US.

Good Luck,

Jay Doyle

Jay Doyle

Quote from: Boofhead
QuoteI've searched the forum here and have not come across a lot of posts about it and was wondering why? Deduction is that it's not a good pedal.

So advertising and exposure is a measure of how good something is?
Maybe it works without any trouble and nobody has to ask questions?

Hey Boofhead, go easy man.

I can tell you that it is not a beginner build, and a lot of people have had some problems getting it up and going. I would search for "Ross", you may get some phaser posts but the majority will be about the compressor.

cd

Quote from: Jay DoyleAt times it even seems like the boutique builders are trying to keep up with US.

Don't you feel that it's the other way around sometimes, like some boutique builders are keeping up by riding along :) :)

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: Jay DoyleI will say though that through this hobby I have built stuff designed by the great people who come to this board as well as myself that blows away the commercially available stuff. At times it even seems like the boutique builders are trying to keep up with US.
Jay Doyle

Well said Jay! and when you think about it... everyone here isa 'boutique builder', nothing more 'boutique' than an edition of 1.
Maybe I mean  :D haute couture

Boofhead

QuoteHey Boofhead, go easy man.

Sorry all, sometimes my blunt comments come out a little harsh.