well, i decided to build a phase 45. now...

Started by nordine, August 21, 2004, 11:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nordine

hi everyone!

...as stated, i want to build a phase 45, but, just for some previous troubleshooting, i'd like to do a few questions:

-i plan to do the "univibed" one (justin phillpot mod). is this the best election to achieve a rotary/leslie speaker sound for my godawful casiotone? ...because i struggled a lot for some vibrato circuit.. however, what i was after was that chorus/phasing effect, not only the pitch shifting ( i do not want a bontempi :shock: )

-can the opamps be replaced by two 741?

-schematic says i need two 2n5458.... are there any replacements? ....the town i live is smaller than small and the only thing they got in stores are 555's and 3904's  :?  :?  :?

...well that's not true, but they don't know what a JFET is, which is already shocking

that's it
thanks in advance

nordine

how about this one:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v324/caseyseffectpage/Leslie%20Simulators/?action=view¤t=leslieeffect.jpg

it doesn't seem THAT difficult to build..

then, again, the components... could these components (specifically transistors) be cheated by more familiar ones??

Hal

you should probably mail order the parts any way you go.  try www.smallbearelec.com

He has decent prices, and ships anywhere.  You dont really wanna sub that much stuff...odds are it'll work, but not well.  And no, you can't replace a JFET with a BJT.  Maybe you could use a J201 in that place instead, but I would go with the specified parts.

Fret Wire

Nordine, did you notice that ckt uses a transformer and wall power? Were you gonna perf it? There's no PCB layout for it. No one has built it, so you'd be SOL for help if it doesn't go well. Stick to the Phase 45, it's a nice build with plenty of support and a proven layout.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Paul Marossy

No, you can't replace the TL072s with 741s. TL072s are dual opamps and 741s a single opamps. It won't work. I used J201s in my Phase 45 and it works just fine. YMMV. MPF102s may possibly work, but I haven't tried it.

nordine

guess i'll have to save money for some international ordering shipping ( i live in chile)

anyhow, i was listening to some easyvibe samples, and they sound sweet..... how different/similar are the phase45 and the easyvibe?? which should i try to build??( you know, samples never show the true potential of a pedal)

petemoore

Suggestions
 PCB
 High end opamps
 You'll need matched Jfets
 measure resistors and be careful with pinouts, get the whatever you need to be sure.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

keko

Quote from: nordineguess i'll have to save money for some international ordering shipping ( i live in chile)

Nordine, lo único que no he encontrado en Chile son los transistores que se supene debieran usarse, pero probé con otros y sí funciona. En todo caso no tan tan tan bien, pero funciona. Al final compré unos a smallbearelec y es un lujo. De hecho ayer grabé en estudio con el Phase 45...muy rico.

El tl072 lo encuentras en todas partes. Anda a San Diego y verás muchas tiendas electrónicas.

También anda a www.plexilandia.cl que es un foro DIY chileno, ahí te daremos muchos otros datos sobre dónde encontrar partes.

Suerte!
.::keko::.
www.qpd.cl // desahógate ahora!
www.basa.cl // Digital « Design » Atelier

dr

...there is a pcb layout for it on JD's site-I built it myself, and its not much of a "leslie effect"- it sounds more like a wah-wah being fanned fast or slow......you may want to try the phase shifter you were talking about....I did put together a "mini leslie" with a rotating foam wheel mounted in front of a stationary speaker driven by a DC motor controlled by a PWM circuit.....it sounded better than the phaser I built.....

nordine

keko: vale por el dato, excelente, me muevo de imediato para alla!

dr: so the phase45 ain't as dramatic as i'd like it to be...

i explored the possibility of making a pseudo-leslie unit.... but always encountered problems when thinking how to replicate the upper rotating horns... because thats what the leslie IS about... otherwise (doing just the foam thing) you get a vibratone, which is only a tremolo device

gez

I used to run a kiddies keyboard through a Boss Hi-band Flanger.  With the rate set high, resonance off and medium depth you could get a pretty good organ sound (all things considered).
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter