ColdHeat...as seen on TV!

Started by mahoney, August 22, 2004, 12:07:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahoney

Anyone tried the new ColdHeat soldering iron?  I just saw the infomercial on the History Channel.  Apparantly it goes from "hot to cool to the touch in seconds!"  (The hand model then places the ColdHeat soldering iron in his shirt pocket, [sarcasm] just like everyone does when they finish soldering [/sarcasm])  Anyone?

Hal

there was a thread about this a couple months ago.  I think the general concensus was that it sucks and if you need something portable, a butane iron is better.

phillip

Wow someone else was watching The Last Days of WWII on History too?  

I saw the Cold Heat ad, but I was thinking that it looks awfully clumsy to do a lot of work like would be needed with an effects pedal.  I noticed that the tip is juat way too big for small little pads, like the ones on RG's layouts  ;)  I use a pretty smally cylindrical tip on my iron.

I would probably vote for a butane iron if I needed something portable, but of course it won't have the same instant hot/instant cold thing that the Cold Heat does.  I say give the Cold Heat iron another year or two to be developed a little more and then it'll probably be something that we can use :)

Phillip

Jered

Yeah, give iy a couple years and see if its still around. If your looking for something portable, I can vouch for the Iso-Tip rechargeable irons. I really like mine, soldering ready in ten seconds, doesn't cool down nearly that fast though.
Jered

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

It 'works' by running a current through the stuff being soldered. It isn't how you want to make a pedal, at least according to all reports I've seen on newsgroups.

smoguzbenjamin

[movie-traileresque voice]"And now, the possibility to fry your fets before you even solder the power supply input on!"[/movie-traileresque voice]
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.