Does It Matter?

Started by petemoore, August 22, 2004, 04:19:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

I don't care, but always try to get parts to be soldered to be 'pushed' together physically before soldering...I think I got the technique...takes some twistin' leads 'n stuff.
 Do you guys use third hands or clamps? I mount the iron in a brick, and pull it out for about 1/3 of the connections.
 Beginners that plan to do this...most of the smoke goes right up the tube,  throught the cooling fan. You decide
 yeahh I had a drink er two...ramblin eh?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Gilles C

Quote from: petemooreDo you guys use third hands or clamps? I mount the iron in a brick, and pull it out for about 1/3 of the connections.

I use a book...

And I try to hold the parts close to the pcb, and align them so they look good.  8)

I didn't drink... but I should have. It's 5:08 am and I still can't sleep.  :cry:

StephenGiles

It's funny, I always try to make it look good on veroboard, but nobody else ever looks at the finished result anyway! Which ever way you solder parts together, the most important thing is to whatch out for your fingers - it hurts if one touched the iron!
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Gilles C

Quote from: StephenGilesIt's funny, I always try to make it look good on veroboard, but nobody else ever looks at the finished result anyway! Which ever way you solder parts together, the most important thing is to whatch out for your fingers - it hurts if one touched the iron!
Stephen

Don't be so sure about that. People like to see nice work.

It doesn't always matters, but sometimes, it's the difference between a circuit that works and that doesn't.

But things don't always work because it is well assembled.

But then, it is easier to debug.  :wink:

At work, people noticed the way I do my things, and sometimes they say that when they want something done fast, they ask some other guy that works with me, that can build something very fast, al long as it doesn't have to look good. Because he uses hot glue to lhold things together, or glues op-amps on their back in place of using a socket, etc...

And they say that if they want something that look good, they will ask me.  :lol:

But don't worry, it's more an inside joke than something to make me feel like I'm better than him. It's just to tell you that people won't always tell you, but they notice...

Gilles

Added: Just the record... It doesn't mean that what I do is always perfect  :roll:  Far than that. Just that I try to do my best.  :?

stm

I use masking tape to hold the component(s) in place while soldering.  A two or three inch long piece can be used many many times.

Hal

i ususally bend the leads in or out, so the component stays in.  sometimes hold with my hand....I sometimes (rarely) stick the board in a notched piece of wood so it stays up, but i ususally just balance it....

sometimes i fead solder from my mouth :-D  not too unhealthy, there's rubber around the whole roll....

Jered

I use RG's soldering block because uh,.....its made for soldering stompboxes. It works perfect and takes five minutes to make. You can find it here:
http://www.geofex.com/
Jered

bwanasonic

Frequent use of locking tweezers, alligator clips and third hand *thingy* here.

Also need:

- soldering tool with one notched and one pointed end.
- Magnifying glass from HELL 350 drum scanner.

Not sure I understand the whole soldering Iron/ brick arangement. Essentially, you bring the board to the iron instead the iron to the board? Hmm... interesting. Not sure that would work for my brain though.

Kerry M

Hal

Quote from: bwanasonicFrequent use of locking tweezers, alligator clips and third hand *thingy* here.

Also need:

- soldering tool with one notched and one pointed end.
- Magnifying glass from HELL 350 drum scanner.

Not sure I understand the whole soldering Iron/ brick arangement. Essentially, you bring the board to the iron instead the iron to the board? Hmm... interesting. Not sure that would work for my brain though.

Kerry M

you dont do that ?
thats how i tin wires or anything - not a brick, but my iron stand is like a tin napkin holder that holds the iron facing up.  That way, i can use 2 hands, one to hold the wire on the iron, and the other to feed solder.  I leave the iron down for some other stuff too, ususally soldering wires to jacks, or stuff like that, where i cant leave the item to be soldered on my bench easily...

petemoore

not a brick, but my iron stand is like a tin napkin holder that holds the iron facing up. That way, i can use 2 hands, one to hold the wire on the iron, and the other to feed solder.
  I like it, all the fumes go up the fume sucking tube, and I can pin parts with my hands and bring the board and the solder to the pad.
 It's easy to mount the iron, then I can turn the board 1/4 of half turn for angle of access, and when I'm done with the soldering I have a 'free' board in my hand.

keko

I've got to try some sturdy set up to lay the solder down and have both hands free to work.

...I remember once I burnt my thumb's fingertip: I heated a lead and the board before applying solder, and then pushed my thumb against the resistor's lead. ouch! I had a hole in my thumb for weeks!
.::keko::.
www.qpd.cl // desahógate ahora!
www.basa.cl // Digital « Design » Atelier

StephenGiles

STM - that's a brilliant idea, it's so simple that I find it incredible that nobody else has thought of it!
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

stm

I learned that from another student while I was at the university. It's helpful and cheap!

Jim Jones

I've been using masking tape recently too - majorly helpful!

Those friggin' third hand things give me Tourette's. :)

Jim

strungout

I work on perfboard, and usually, I fit the component twist the leads to where they go, lay it down on my table and solder away, the leads rarely move. If they do, I use an alligator clip to hold em down.

I'm on the clean, good looking build side too. I like it when it kinda looks like a miniature city 8)

That said, I'm looking to build me some "arm" I can clamp to my table to hold my board. Maybe I'll use that mic stand I have lying around.

Ciao.
"Displaying my ignorance for the whole world to teach".

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".

Transmogrifox

I used to twist leads, but I usually ended up with too big of solder globs.

NOw I just stick the components in where I want them and bend the leads down to the perfboard tight and overlapping, press them to bend around eachother as flat as possible.

Then I go and clip them all neatly.  When that's done, the acutal soldering job is easy.  I usually use 4 screws tightly fastened to the holes in the edge of the board and use their ends as a support stand.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

petemoore

Alligator clips are quick and handy fer a part grabber>
 i like to use my thumbnail to get the short L END FoR wraPPing [dunno what uP with the caPs on this PUter a|sorry] anyway bending a short
el end around the corner of the hole's then bending it to an s shape at the very end where it goes throught the board and over to the pin< then pulling the top of the board lead up a little bit< then holding it down actually clamps the end of the lead to the pad {slight pivot pushes the lead end to the pin}>>>so good physical contact is made to all three surfaces lead< pin< and pad>
 i often come right off the lead atop the board for the last {third fourth etc>} connection>< i found leaving a touch' of lead length atop the board really makes it easier to apply the dmm probe to them>
  surry for the puter messin up  < equals comma and > equals period today>>>lol???