Filling in a mistaken drilled hole !!

Started by MartyMart, August 22, 2004, 05:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyMart

OK, it's not a "wierd" post before you ask !
I drilled two 10mm jack holes in the wrong place on my BSIAB II and i'm looking for a "neat" way to cover them up, i'm sure we've all done it once so any ideas ??
Thanks,
Marty.
PS: putting jack sockets at the back of a box above the pots is quite tight eh ?  :wink:
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

StephenGiles

Blue tack? A small piece of matchstick perhaps or just leave it as a reminder of things that go wrong.
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Phorhas

use some modeling putty... this stuff hardens like a rock. then just sand and paint
Electron Pusher

MartyMart

Stephen, blue tack or matches ?  thanks a bunch !!  i dont need reminding that i made a right mess of it !!  :(

Modeling putty sounds good, if it will span the gap ? what about a very large  rivet/plastic cap ?

Perhaps i could leave it open for some "air conditioning"  !!

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

cd

Use auto body filler.  I don't know what you have in the UK, but in North America, it's called Bondo.

mugan

Give the mule what he wants

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

There are things that just plug into the hole called "blind grommets". They come in various sizes and are pretty unobtrusive if painted.

petemoore

cut short phillips screws and insert.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

smoguzbenjamin

Get two small computer fans and have one blowing in and the other blowing out. :mrgreen: That way you can brag about what a heavy duty pedal it is :mrgreen:
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Gus

Use a piece of tape behind the hole then mix up some JB weld epoxy.  I use JB weld to hold the punch outs i in place in juntion boxes etc....................

Phorhas

Hey Mugan , that's a beautiful box. how did you do for the finish?
Electron Pusher

mugan

hey thank you! Just sand it alot, put a big inkjet printed decal and a little of clear paint, that's all !

I used 14 mm revets to cover the erroneous holes i did.
Give the mule what he wants

Paul Marossy

I have successfully used JB Weld for that exact purpose once or twice. It works pretty well.

Gilles C

Normally, I use Bondo.

Hummm, JB Weld could be good, I'll have to check that. I have another box to reuse...

Oh, I remember I once used aluminium putty, which consist of aluminium and a hardener.

Could this be what you call JB Weld.

They have copper, also. Sold at Wallmart.

niftydog

you can buy "hole plugs" for this type of thing, and in fact I think my SansAmp Bass Driver has one! Make you pedal look pro, dude!

niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Niftydog, that is what I meant by "blind grommet", or what i MEANT, anyhow! yeah, they look so pro, you might want to put a few extra holes in! (just kidding...I think!)

niftydog

yeah, that's sort of what I was expecting them to be called too; I felt we just needed a visual aid. I tried searching a few things around "grommet" before I just went "hole plug" and BAM!

BTW, it's not my SansAmp that has them, its my Prunes & Custard.

If you have space, do the mod that I did to my mixing desk many years ago. Add useless parts!

I added a switch, a flashing LED and a pot labeled "D.F.A." in a spare space at the top of the desk.

Whenever someone complained about some imaginary problem with the mix, I'd flick the switch, the LED starts flashing, you "meaningfully" tweak with the pot, then say "Ok, does that sound better now?!?!"

Many satisfied customers were fooled by that one. The ol' "Does F*#k All" knob gets 'em everytime!

I was wishing I had one of those the day a vocal quartet asked me if I could "turn down the reverb a bit". It's a little hard to do when you're standing in the foyer of the high court of Australia... a ten story high cavernous expanse made of concrete and glass!
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

Hairston

I'll second the Bondo recommendation... It works great and is totally unrevealing if you do it right. It also dries really fast, so you can do a few "sand and fills" in one sitting. Hole plugs work well too if you don't feel like repainting the d*mn thing.

Check out the "SmallWart" project on Small Bear's site. SD uses bondo as ground isolator for power jacks. Pretty clever.

-HB

thomas2

QuoteI was wishing I had one of those the day a vocal quartet asked me if I could "turn down the reverb a bit". It's a little hard to do when you're standing in the foyer of the high court of Australia... a ten story high cavernous expanse made of concrete and glass![/
hehehe.. gonna install the same thing in mine too  :lol:
tee se itse tai kuole