Amp Power Switch pops ?

Started by crawler486, August 23, 2004, 06:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crawler486

Hi guys!

I got a Fender Princeton 112 Amp.
It has this very big Pop when I turn the amp's power switch.
It also pops when I turn on/off the lights or switch on/off any electrical device.

the over the top POPPING occurs when I switch off the amp after an extended period of use.

I once read about putting a pulldown capacitor but can someone
teach me the procedure in detail? I don't want to risk frying
my amp.

Thanks.

R.G.

The pulldown resistor trick is highly specific to effects circuits. It would be unlikely that it would help with a whole amp. The problem with the amp lies in the amp's internal design, not on a simple lack of a pulldown resistor.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Aharon

Of alll the amps I'have built only one pops when I turn it off,my Trainwreck "clown" (er....sorry.clone).After pondering for a while why I came to the conclusion that it is because I put the HV switch before the rectifier and not after,something I have to change when I get the urge to do some surgery on an otherwise perfectly working amp.

I'm not saying this is the case on yours I just thought I would tell the story.  :wink:

One thing that can aliviate the pop is a 1KV 0.01 cap across the sw poles.
Don't do this yet,wait for RG to confirm and explain better,please. :idea:  :?:
Aharon
Aharon

petemoore

yupp they do that.
 sounds like yours does it loud.
 seems there might be a way to soften the power on/off without a variac?
 just suggestive rambling, with no background
 'fake' stanby switch for output to go to dummy load? again .. no background...and added risk of output problem.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

crawler486

hmmmn...so the problem might be harder to fix than I thought so.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

If only I could find that specific thread that that has this
exact problem. got to dig deeper...

Regards