Ferrite beads [?]

Started by petemoore, August 23, 2004, 12:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

Anyone use these to squelch RF getting into the signal path?
 Did it work?
 Specifically ..What kind works?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

brett

Some years ago I built a high-end hifi amp and it included small ferrite beads on the base leg of the preamp transistors.  I can't tell you whether they helped, because I never did the A/B.  Also, I was living out in the 'burbs where there wouldn't have been too much RF.

my limited experience with guitars, pedals etc tells me that strong RF emitters such as crook flouro lights will inject RF as audio "hash" into the signal path via cables, etc.  From there it's fairly much impossible to get out.  (without balanced cables, etc)

good luck.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

petemoore

well doesn't sound as attractive as it did...thanks
 just kidding there...thank you very much for this info, it has probably saved me a bit of troubles!!!
 Now how to get the radio from the mosface without otherwise altering it'S perfORmAnce unDUly>

aron

I never used it. My Carvin has a ferrite bead at the input.

petemoore

I probly try it anyway...ya never know.
 After re-reading Bretts post, I'm gathering that the Ferrite bead doesn't actually introduce the hash, but the cables and other 'stuff'.
 I didn't quite understand the 'balanced' words use in the post, but I'll possibly also add a little bit of shielding also.

Athin

balanced means 3 cables - "hot" - normal signal, "cold" - signal 180deg o.o. phase and ground (as with microphones, some @ least) - look @ sound.westhost.com
DIY XOR die.