best 9 volt envelope filter for bass??

Started by swt, August 23, 2004, 10:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swt

I want a good envelope filter for bass, but with a 9 volts supply. I have a mutron clone that's great, but it has +-9volts supply.
Has anybody tried the phuncgnosis with bass??. Thanks a lot for any reply!

niftydog

I built a bassballs... pretty cool, especially if you take the tweak pots to the outside.

I sort of liked my old DOD envelope filter, but it swept way to low for bass, too muddy. Always thought about modding it, but then someone offered me good money for it... so bye bye! Besides, haven't yet seen a circuit for it.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

bwanasonic

I really like the EMMA Discumbobulator. It runs on a regular +9v supply and is really versatile. I posted a review at HC a while back.

Kerry M

mikeb

You can use a MAX1440 or 7660 to get the +/-9V necessary to run your MutronIII clone.

Mike

Mark Hammer

Two things will improve envelope filters with bass.  One is to mix in some straight signal with the filter sound.  The other is to shift the range of the filter downward by an octave or so.  In most instances, the filter section will use two identical-value caps to set the range over which the filter will sweep.  All other things being equal, changing the value of those caps will shift the filter range in a manner proportional to the cap value.  So, if the current cap value was .01uf, changing that to .02uf would drop the filter range by an octave.  Changing it to .04uf would drop it by 2 octaves, and so on.

Mixing the straight signal in with the filter can be a trivial or more complex matter.  I made a Dr Quack for a buddy that simply ran a fixed resistor and cap to the output from the initial input stage.  That allowed some of the straight signal to be combined.  Sounded great with bass.