Moog MURF.. what it do, exactly??

Started by Paul Perry (Frostwave), August 25, 2004, 12:31:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Yeah i RTFM  :D
www.moogmusic.com/manuals/murf_man60704.pdf
but, still not sure, at the end of the manual where it shows the patterns, does this mean that where it is black, the corresponding filter has its envelope triggered??
any and all comments appreciated.

travissk

Yes, I'm pretty sure you're right. Here's what I gather:

The Animation mode will play through one of those patterns. At each step, zero or more filters are triggered. The ones that are are represented in black. White boxes mean a filter is off for that step.

Turning the envelope control changes the attack/decay times; putting it at 0 will make it trigger and decay rapidly, while increasing the knob makes the envelope smoother (equal Attack/Delay). Cranking it will give a short attack/long decay. I'm sure you saw the nice illustration in the manual, but this is just an explanation for those that haven't read the manual through.

While the manual says each filter has its own envelope generator, they are all controlled with that one knob.

Now that stuff is almost verbatim out of the documentation, but a few things are a little confusing to me. For example, does the envelope completely stretch to fill the current pattern step? I believe that's the case, which would explain how the tremolo setting works. If we assume all filters are retriggered at every step where there's a black box, then going through the attack and decay would modulate the volume... the result is a tremolo with some slight filtering.

That's the strongest evidence I can find that the filters are indeed retriggered on every black box. The only other possibility I can think of is that an envelope is only triggered on a white->black transition, but that would "break" the tremolo... the filter would be switched on once and then would never be retriggered.

This looks like a very cool filterbox... I'm repairing a line6 FM4 which has some nice effects, and I've used the sequencer in Reason and Step Filter in Cubase VST to do some interesting things, but for coolness (if not flexibility) this box has them beat hands-down.

Someone here mentioned the drive control is very nice as well.

-Travis

mikeb

Without wanting to blow my own horn, the infinitphase has gadzillions of these sequenced / stepped filter effects, and (IMHO) much more flexibility as to how the steps are .... ermmm .... stepped through. I admit that for most people they'd prefer to go the digital route, just because the cost of a box with 18 or so controls is right up there.

Mike