Pete Cornish Fuzz?

Started by Arn C., August 25, 2004, 10:31:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arn C.

A friend of mine read in guitar player magazine that Pete Cornish's fuzz is the best ever.   At a mere cost of $600

What's the deal?  Is it the best ever?  Or do we have something here in the forum that is the best ever?   If his is the best ever, what makes it the best ever?

Peace!
Arn C.

RDV

Quote from: Arn C.If his is the best ever, what makes it the best ever?
The price, the name, and that red goop he covers his boards in.

RDV

Doug_H

cd

His prices are not that bad for the UK.  A Fulldrive there lists for 200 UKP if I'm not mistaken, so 270 UKP for a custom made pedal isn't that bad.

Arn C.

I am sure that with all the different mods and variations of fuzz faces coming from this forum, there must be better ones here.  

Who here has built what they think is the best fuzz face spin off ?

Or what do you think is the best fuzz made here?

Peace!
Arn C.

ps I will look up Pete AND Cornish.

RDV

That fuzz is probably more of a BMP type(though I could be wrong).

RDV

nightingale

i know it's all opinion~
but, i beleive that the 3 knob tonebender is the best fuzz ever.. and the Roger Mayer Axis fuzz coming in at a close second..

just my opinion tho..
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

smoguzbenjamin

Any ROG ampsim is great. Not really fuzz but pretty nice all the same 8)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

phillip

I personally love my Axis Face Germanium:

http://fuzzcentral.tripod.com/axisface.html

It uses NPN Germanium transistors so that you could use modern power supplies like Boss, Ibanez, Danelectro, etc., it has a temperature stabilization diode to help prevent thermal runaway, power supply filtering, reverse polarity protection, a trimmer on the collector of Q2 to dial in 4.5V (even though I like to run it at 5V), tweaked capacitor values and a 100KA volume pot for more treble response and a variable resistor on the input to help remove some of the woofiness when needed :)  A week or two ago I also posted a new PCB and Layout for it...very small and compact...it'll very easily fit inside a Hammond B with lots of room to spare!

If you can't find NPN Germanium transistors, the circuit can easily be converted to PNP by reversing the two diodes, reversing the electrolytic capacitor and feeding the circuit -9VDC.

I need to update the parts list for it this afternoon since I found good 1uF NP Metal Film capacitors from Mouser.

Phillip

brian wenz

Hello Nightingale--
    Yeah, I'll vote for a good Tonebender MK II also....it seems the 3-tranny circuits are more to my liking.
So, you like the Axis too??    What rig are you playing it through???
Brian.

Lonestarjohnny

Nightingale, I like my Mayer's Classic Fuzz, it has a great tone through the Plexi, I have some other fuzz pedal's that sound good with other amp's.
My Fav pedal year's ago was a DeArmond Square wave, really kicked butt for me with the Plexi and a Echo/Plex.
You wanna here this combo go find Daniel Lanois, he used this in the sound track of SlingBlade.
Johnny

brian wenz

Hello Hello-
   Is the DeArmond Squarewave the same circuit as the Univox Squarewave??
Thanks-
Brian.

cd

Quote from: brian wenzHello Hello-
   Is the DeArmond Squarewave the same circuit as the Univox Squarewave??
Thanks-
Brian.

IIRC, nope.  The DeArmond is a Distortion+ type circuit, the Univox is something else entirely.

Lonestarjohnny

they are both Square wave distortion's, I just never got a good tone out of the Univox, tried a couple but alway's stuck with my DeArmond.
'There is a Schematic of the DeArmond and I think the Univox can be had at the Univox site, if you need the DeArmond, let me know, I have it somewhere.
Johnny

nightingale

brian~
i like the Axis Fuzz with a telecaster and a minimalist  18watt bluesbreaker clone.. into an old sunn 4x10 combo.. i set the volume and fuzz at max, and then back off the volume a little bit.. it seems to tighten up the sound a bit, at the same time it tames the high's a little.. i guess i should mention that i keep the tele pickup selector in the middle position.. [52 tele RI]..

i also have a blues deville that it sounds real nice with.. but i have the have the EQ, and presence setting just right, or it sounds pretty awful..

on the other hand  the tonebenders i have built sound great with lots of valve amps IMO... fender, marshall, traynor, ampeg..

man, i love fuzz!
anytime these discussions come up about an "new" fuzz... or an old rare fuzz built in small numbers.. it really gets me going..

i play rythmn guitar, and sing in a heavy psychedelic music project..  but i basically play rythmn fuzz.. nearly everything i play is drenched in tone bender or axis fuzz with a little occtave/echo/wah here and there..

i don't know if you have a fast connection or not.. but if you visit the Nightingale link by my signature... you can hear a couple new rough mixes that i put up there.. there is some serious tonebender on those tracks..
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

petemoore

FF's
 Multi Face, 4401, 2n7000, I have two. One for backup, is a little fatter capped.
 Cool thing about a FF is that with various boosts in front of it, many  intenst Fuzzes can be had, but the guitar rolloff suffers. Even a buffer can throw yer FF over the top to ToneBender zone. I like this because I can fine tune the FF, and get something 'stable' then tweek the booster and get various results.
 Just built an EZ Face, and that ones a bit different and real nice too.
 Maybe PC pedals got some line or stash of super duper Ge's or something, ;great pedal' is all I can tie to it, having never tried one or studied waveforms of one etc. Other than that I would guess the other components are as available to the rest of us.
 Maybe there is a design setup unique to PC pedals that is as yet undiscovered.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Lonestarjohnny

I love the old FF pedal's also, have a nice collection of them, now i wanna build some but the old Germ's are hard to come by here in Texas.
Cool sound's on your site, enjoyed them,
Johnny

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
    Lonestar-- Yeah!!  I'd love to see the schematic for the DeArmond!
  Ryan-- We need to talk about music!  One of my faves is psych....mostly the older, mid-to-late 60's English stuff.....the more obscure the better!.   Fuzz, phasers, and Vox amps.....
Brian.

Simon Owen

The best fuzz by far is the FUXX FACE by Jack Orman :twisted: