News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

WAH BOOST!!!

Started by nero1985, August 25, 2004, 06:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nero1985

hi, i have a dunlop wah and i also made a "FETZER VALVE" but the FETZER isnt giving as much boost as i thought it would, so i was thinking about using on my wah pedal to give it more volume, so does anybody here knows where i could use it??, i mean my wah has the buffer so should i use it after or before the buffer or on the output of the wah (not the bypass output), any help would be apreciated

petemoore

At the output you'll probably notice the most increase in output level.
 At the input it could change the sound of the wah, either side of the buffer. Also might have more output in this positiion than the wah can accomodate.
 This is why I like my test jig, for the price of a couple jacks, alligator clips, and a few minutes working the box. you have a plug in platform with alligators for board connections...quick...then you can use cables to rearrange the chain for testing.
 THE tOP  oF THE  toP BoX IS mostly Cut Off To MAKE IT A TRaY for the circuit to stay and test clips wires to come through, the bottom box holds the jacks. metal bottom box stays put good I used a large RACO.  flexible wires connect the ground, in and out, from the jacks
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Lonestarjohnny

Nero, Which Jfet did you use, i put a J201 in mine and it's gainey as hell and very loud on the boost, i could use it for a distortion pedal when I crank it.
You might wanna try swapping fet's, i have found some that do Diddley Squat. don't forget to rebais if you swap out fet's.
Johnny

Ansil

hmm why not just drop a darlington in the first transistor stage of the wah.???   or are you just ryting to get rid of hte circuit.???

nero1985

i use a J201 but it really doesnt give me any distortion, maybe a little bit but i also am going to add a treble bleed to the 100k potand i might just change the 22mf electrolytic for a 10mf or 4.7mf that would take some of the distortion u should try it too

Lonestarjohnny

I may try it, but i'm runnimg the Newbie page Booster = NPB-1, after my Wha, then the Fetzer, for my gritty rhythms and a Eighteen for my lead tone, this just kick's Major Booty, I'm having no problem's, my wha is unbuffered also, Vox 847, Modded with better cap's, a yellow inductor from CE Distribution, a HotPot'z, BC109 Tranny's, do some adjusting on your value's controlling your sweep and depth and you should have a KickAss sound,,
Johnny

bazzwazzle

> don't forget to rebais if you swap out fet's.
Johnny

What is rebiasing?? I haven't used FET's yet so maybe i should know??

Nero, you could take out the buffer in your wah, that's what i did to my crybaby. You could then make for true bypass also if you'd like.
If you're interested go here: Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 Mods

They show alot of mods you can do such as Vocal mod, Gain Mod, etc.

Lonestarjohnny

Hey Bazz, you can email me when you get ready to build your fet pedal, I'll help you out if I can,
When you bais your fet's you'll need a DVM and you'll want the whole circuit hooked up, pot's and jack's, put your voltage to the fet and wait a few min's before trying to bais, what ever voltage you supply the Fet with you need to see half of that on the Drain of the fet, like if you build it for 9 volt's you should use a trim pot to feed the drain, adjust it til you read 4.5 volt's on the drain,
also alway's check for a data sheet on the fet your useing, get the max. voltage it'll operate at so you don't overvoltage the fet, and the pin out of the fet, some guy's have found some fet's that do not adhere to the datasheet, you can alway's check on here for a problem with pinout's,
and alway's look at the Schematics at RunOffGroove, they have everything you need plus Circuit boards
Johnny