Question for Paul Marossy on AutoCad... (or anyone else)

Started by bazzwazzle, August 26, 2004, 01:02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bazzwazzle

Do you know of any good  AutoCad tutorials or places to learn? I'm currently doing the google thing but was wondering if you have any recommendations.

Paul Marossy

What version of AutoCAD do you have? I have AutoCAD LT 97 & 2000 at home. They have a little manual that came with them that kind of have a tutorial of sorts in them. There is a book called "Inside AutoCAD" that is pretty comprehensive. At work, I use version 2004, professional.

Hope that helps...

bazzwazzle

what i find confusing is that when i make an object it doesn't look like the actual thing. For instance, i tried making a filleted rectangle with the Hammond 1590B measurements but when i looked at the real think it doesn't look the same. Then when i placed a 1 inch line i put my ruler to the screen and it didn't match. i don't know how to go into 100% zoom so i know i'm viewing correctly.

Paul Marossy

Ahhh... that's not possible, AFAIK. The only sure way to make sure something is drawn the right size is to print it out at 1:1 (or whatever scale you're in). Then you can measure it. As long as you are in some kind of scale when you are drawing (for this type of stuff, I recommend full scale or otherwise known as 1:1), it will draw it exactly to scale.

Your object that is on the screen will be in direct proportion to how big your window is. If you have a tiny window, you'll have a tiny view with a tiny object...

bazzwazzle

How do I make sure I am in 1:1 scale while drawing?

Paul Marossy

In AutoCAD, everything is drawn at 1:1 scale. Plotting scale is determined by your paper space settings, or you can just print directly from model space, and it will print at 1:1 scale.

chumpito

Quote from: bazzwazzleHow do I make sure I am in 1:1 scale while drawing?
You don't have to worry about that until you plot just make sure you have the correct drawing units, inches, etc.  The offset and perpendicular commands are my most used so learn those.
Isn't there somebody at your work to help, or did you just buy it for home use?

bazzwazzle

it's been on the comp. but i never used it. Until i saw on Paul Marossy's site the templates you can make with it.

chumpito

Paul Marossy

Yeah, AutoCAD is a great tool for making templates. I used it for building my Matchless Spitfire clone to great effect...

bazzwazzle

Oh sweet i tried printed it at 1:1 and it worked. Perfect match. Thanks for helping me out guys!

Ah yes, one more thing. I notice in your Red Hot Overdrive one that you have the template, and then the template with the internal pots, jacks, and switches showing. How did you draw the internals so accurate?!

Paul Marossy

QuoteAh yes, one more thing. I notice in your Red Hot Overdrive one that you have the template, and then the template with the internal pots, jacks, and switches showing. How did you draw the internals so accurate?!

I actually took my pots, and jacks and stuff and measured their dimensions. I made CAD replicas of those parts. Then I made those into blocks, which can then in turn be moved around as one unit. Once you draw a few blocks, you can use them in all kinds of drawings. All you have to do is use the "wblock" command, and it will make that block that is in your drawing a .dwg file on your hard drive that you can access while you are in other drawings. You just insert them into your drawing.

bazzwazzle

is it hard to replicate them? if it's too much trouble, would you be kind enough to send me those CAD replicas? it would definitely be a life saver.

EDIT: i see how you made the pot part, hmm maybe i don't need the pot but the jack seems like hell to make. Could you possible send me that?

Paul Marossy

D Wagner

Paul,

I have been following this thread, as I use AutoCAD for doing my PCB's, too.

Is there any chance I could get a copy of the ACAD template you use?

My e-mail is (NO_SPAM_PLEASE)datilderek@excite.com

Thanks,  Derek

Paul Marossy

bazzwazzle-

Send me an email at psalmist@att.net, and I'll send a reply with the AutoCAD drawing attached.

D Wagner -

OK, I'll send it to you right now.

bazzwazzle

if i may ask one last thing Paul, it would be how do you get your labels onto your pedals? the Toner Transfer System? Screen Print? or what? They look great