Stereo Jack Sockets in the UK?

Started by gez, August 26, 2004, 01:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gez

Where do you buy your stereo jack sockets (UK only please)?  Rapid don't sell the open chassis metal type and neither do ESR (well, they didn't the last time I asked).  Guitar parts suppliers just ask silly money.

I did a google search and only found a couple of suppliers.  

One is Bowood, but there's no picture and they don't say it's metal.  Has anyone ordered "CON190   6.3mm Stereo Switched Chassis Socket £0.40" and could they confirm this is indeed the real deal?

http://www.bowood-electronics.co.uk/index.php/cPath/8_68/sort/1a/page/3

The other place I found are this company (never heard of them)

http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/ishop/923/shopscr2993.html

These are the real deal but are slightly more expensive.

I've been buying mine from Maplin for years, but they're not always in stock and, as always, are overpriced.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Torchy

I get the enclosed fully switched type, 30 for £9 including postage. The guy trades on ebay but I buy them off-auction. If you like, pm me and Ill send you his mail address.

gez

Quote from: TorchyI get the enclosed fully switched type

Do you mean the plastic jobbies Torchy?  I'm only after metal.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

TheBigMan

Maplin have Switchcraft style jacks which are pretty decent, I've used them in a few things.  Frankly though the best bang for the pound  :wink: jacks in the UK are Neutrik enclosed plastic.  Andi Allan of //www.monkeyfx.co.uk sells them £6 for 10.

Torchy

Not the cheap Marshall type (Neutrik), these are square enclosed with the terminals at the end not along the side ... need photo if I can find one ...

Torchy

These ... (sorry its grainy but I am total carp with a camera  :oops: )

gez

Thanks for the replies lads.  

I'm not too sure about those Torchy, I'm always a bit dubious when it comes to enclosed sockets.  Often the contacts are flimsier so they don't last as long, plus there's often no access to bend them back into shape when they do go (please feel free to enlighten me if this isn't the case here).

I do use the Maplin ones and I've never had a dud, but they don't stock them in quantity and they're overpriced.  Their mail order is a joke.

I don't like plastic ones for the reasons I quoted above (plus they're more prone to damage and don't make electrical contact with the box - though that's not always a bad thing!)  :)

I wonder where the Monkey FX bloke gets his 3PDTs from?  Probably direct from the factory, unless someone knows different?

I'll probably email bowood and find out what those sockets are exactly.  Just thought I'd post here in case anyone had used them/knew a better place to buy them.

Thanks again.

Torchy

Gez,
  I appreciate your concerns mate, reliability is the main thing with sockets switches and pots. I can only speak from experience, and Ive used these sockets for a while now. Not had any failures and they have a really positive action. Oh, and at 30p each they're cheap enough to toss and replace if one (eventually) fails   :oops:

gez

Torchy, I've sent you a PM  :wink:

gez

BigMan, are you anywhere near Cupar in Fife?  My Great great great grandmother was from there and her maiden name has been passed down through the generations as a middle name.  I was born in Scotland too (though I'm just a soft southern English pansy and don't pretend to be anything else)  :)

TheBigMan

I lived in St Andrews for four years when I was at Uni, up until June.  It's 10 miles up the road from Cupar.  I'm now back in Hamilton, which is near Glasgow for those who haven't heard of it.  Must update my profile!

gez

Quote from: TheBigManI'm now back in Hamilton, which is near Glasgow for those who haven't heard of it

That's where I was born!  Moved at the age of 2 though, so I have no memory of the place.