could i use a 100k pot instead of a 100 k trimpot? what diff

Started by bazzwazzle, August 26, 2004, 02:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lonestarjohnny

you can, but that's a waste of a nice pot, trim's are alot cheaper, but for temporary it should work.
Johnny

bazzwazzle

well you see, the trim pot was for internal tweaking, and then after it says i can make it an adjustable external pot, but it doesn't say what to use.

here goto the bottom of this page:
http://members01.chello.se/pastorn/fx/mods/dunlop.htm

look at the adjustable and the adjustable - external pot entries. I want to do the external one. Should i use a 100 K trimpot or a 100 K pot

Mark F

There's no difference. He states in the article to use a pot mounted on the side of the pedal.

StephenGiles

You don't want a visit from the circuit police do you!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

bazzwazzle

Paul Marossy

One thing to watch out for is not trying to use a trimpot for the wrong application. In other words, don't try using a cheap RadioShack trimpot for a guitar amp bias control or something. It will get fried because it wasn't designed for that kind of current across it...  :shock:
On most 9V to 12V guitar effects circuits, you can substitute one for another with no problem. I use a trimpot where it is something that I want to adjust once and never mess with it again.

bazzwazzle

petemoore

i ran out< and used a hundred k pot with the wired leading to clips...used as a trimpot...setting Jfet's biases one by one and measiuring the undisturbed setting of the pot that got 1/2v on the Jfet drian...substituting fixed resistors for each jfets bias needs.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.