Stopping an LFO

Started by kristoipher612, August 26, 2004, 05:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kristoipher612

Hey everyone, i was wondering how to stop an LFO in a circuit so i can manually move the sweep of a modulation effect(i.e. the Electric Mistress)?  is it simple?hard? what all do i need to know.  thanks for any responses.
kris

niftydog

You couldn't really stop it and manually alter the level. But you could disconnect it and control the sweep manually (eg; with a foot pedal).

Got the schematic?
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

ExpAnonColin

You could basically stop it by putting a very very large value capacitor in series with it's timing capacitor, or even a series resistor with the timing resistor....  basically slowing it down so much that you don't notice it going.  Schem?

-Colin

niftydog

hey, there's an idea. Then you use an op amp to "mix" the "stopped" LFO and an external DC control level...  there's some unpredictability to that setup though. but a good idea is a good idea!
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

ExpAnonColin

I've done it, sans the external control, before as a mod.

-Colin

jplaudio

Quote from: kristoipher612Hey everyone, i was wondering how to stop an LFO in a circuit so i can manually move the sweep of a modulation effect(i.e. the Electric Mistress)?  is it simple?hard? what all do i need to know.  thanks for any responses.
kris
Most commercial flangers have this capability with a manual control that sets a
fixed voltage going to the VCO along with a Range control that mixes the LFO output and the fixed voltage. Take a look at the EH EM schematic to see how the range control is switched from using the LFO output to a fixed voltage at the opamp driving the VCO, simple but effective.
Any effect that uses a VCO can be can be converted to a manual sweep by using a varible voltage in place of the LFO output voltage.

R.G.

Stopping an LFO is not hard.  I did that for an effect in the Vibra-Matic mod to the EAN Tremolo. See

Quotehttp://geofex.com/FX_images/vibmatic.pdf
From March 2001.

However, as the others note, just stopping an LFO isn't what you're talking about.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.