Univibe (Neovibe) build pictures.

Started by Jim Jones, August 26, 2004, 08:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Jones

Hey guys,

Thought I'd post some more pics - my latest build is the RG Keen vibe project  from GGG.  Damn it sounds good.  :)

http://members.shaw.ca/house-of-jim/Html/pedals_diy.htm

And thanks to Steve for the speedy delivery of my 100K RA speed pots!

Take care!

Jim

RDV

I guess I've got 2 do that 2. My easyvibe blows. It does not sound like a univibe IMO, though I've not given up on it. I just noticed that I used a .1uF instead of .001uF at C1. Might explain the mud. I'm gonna go smaller.

Nice build!

RDV

Lonestarjohnny

Jim, a Newbie Question, how do you match photocell's, and what do you look for in a matched pair ?
Johnny

Aharon

Impecable,what can I say....Nice amps,nice effects.
TAke care
Aharon
Aharon

Lonestarjohnny

I'm just starting to mod the Phaser on my Peavey Mace to do the Univbe thing, I know it won't sound exact but if i can just get the Simularity of a real vibe i would be ver happy,
Nice pic's, I enjoyed the look see.
Johnny

RDV

Quote from: LonestarjohnnyJim, a Newbie Question, how do you match photocell's, and what do you look for in a matched pair ?
Johnny
I would think you're looking for the same resistance reading(across the photocell terminals) from the same light source at the same distance?

I put the correct input cap(.001uF, it seems I had bought one for it and not used it) on my easyvibe. It seemed to improve things a great deal. I guess John Hollis knew which value was best. The sweep seems more even now. I'll check 2morrow 2 make sure it's not just wishful thinking.

RDV

petemoore

I havent been using the EZ Vibe.
 It's depth fades out. I thought I had it licked with the voltage regulator, but now it's up to the old trick [which wasn't too bad but I took the PS trip switch out] of fading, then 'resetting with split second a power down/up, and sweeping nicely for less than a minute to where no phase is heard.
 I liked the wobble It was getting, but it also got to ticking...hmmm.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

petemoore

Very nice pictures and a great site there!!!
 UNIVIBE  LOOKS MARVELOUS!!!

Jim Jones

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the kind words!

Johnny:  RDV's right - I just measured the photocells for similar light resistance, by rigging up a 35mm film container.  I stabbed two holes through the lid to feed the leads through and had a bulb mounted in the bottom.  I put my meter on the photocell leads and jotted down the resistance and then grouped the closest ones.  Not very scientific but it seems to have worked.

RDV:  The Easyvibe sounds good to me just not as good.  I think the only change I made cap-wise in mine was raising the input cap to .01  I plan on revisiting it and trying the "match" process with the photocells to see if that improves things.

Aharon: Stop - I'm blushing!  :)

Pete:  I've read your posts on your Easyvibe woes and I would say that the symptoms you describe are unique to your build.  If you like how it sounds (while it's working) I'd just build another if I were you - there's something fishy there.

Also, it's hard to see in my pictures but I mounted the Vibrato-Phase switch in between the pots on my Univibe build.  The "bottom" knob is for Speed, and the top one is Depth.  I made 'em big and accessible so both can be turned by the side of your foot.  The volume pot seemed a little moot to me so I eliminated it and used a fixed 100K resistor.

Thanks for the feedback and take care!

Jim

petemoore

YUPP  that vibe sound is the bees knees< SWEET like candy!
I know i have to build another one< this time i'll get some betTer lIGHT/dark resistance measurements from the ldR'S First< THO I  WAS getTing very nice sound and phaze sweep from 'photocelLs' it wilL Be interesting to see if i get deeper sweepING Using HigHER spec ldR's

phillip

What kind of aluminum box is that you used to build it in?

Phillip

Jim Jones

Hey Phillip,

I made the box out of 22ga. steel.

Jim

Fret Wire

That brake is definately paying for itself! Nice work :)  8)
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Johnny Guitar

This looks amazing Jim!

I have one or these boards on my bench, but it is a long way off for me. I'm having trouble with my FF already and I'm taking baby steps after that. But your project is a great inspiration for me to get working on them; now knowing that they DO WORK!

Great job!
J

theaxeman

Sweet!!!  :D  :D  :D

I might build a univibe soon, ive only built to pedals though (a ff and a rm)
but only the ff needed any real debugging. I managed to break a tanny! The RM was easy, i just put the range  pot in the wrong way (!)  :lol: