Multivibrator Terminology

Started by cd, August 26, 2004, 10:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cd

Question for the digital/techie experts here: I know a one-shot/monostable multivibrator sends out single pulse with a trigger (voltage goes above a certain level.)  What is it called (or is there such a thing) when a multivibrator sends out a pulse that is triggered by a fall in voltage (when the trigger falls BELOW a certain level)?  Half of a bistable?

niftydog

monostabe refers to the fact that a circuit is only stable in one state. that is, when it's triggered, it's unstable... until it reverts back to it's stable state.

A bistable is stable in two different states. the triggering action takes it from one state the other.

Either of these can be "positive edge triggered" or "negative edge triggered". This is the same as "rising edge triggered" and "falling edge triggered" respectively.

so, it's still called a one-shot monostable, but it's either positive or negative edge triggered.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

cd

Thanks for the clarification niftydog, "negative edge triggered" was the term I was thinking of.  Couldn't remember it for the life of me!