Trim pots ? and the Insanity pedal

Started by BodomHatecrew666, August 26, 2004, 11:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BodomHatecrew666

Hey guys i am new to this board i have been hanging around for a few days checking things out and finaly registered.
So here is my problem i am not a complete newbie i know a  bit about electronics and the workings of a circuit (not a master like some of you guys) but i seem to make do. ok well i am thinking of building the Insanity distortion Box by Aron Nelson  (any info you guys have on this pedal would be greatly apprechiated reviews quality etc..)
well i would like to start building it but  i have never even heard of trim pots that he mentions on the pic and the resistor numbers by them 100k(31k) is this for one side getting 100k and the othere 31k  are these just mini pots or are the the same as the normal potentiometers  like on your guitar i tried the google search but there seems to be many different types box , multi turn , single turn , half turn do i just get one and turn it till the k's on the ohmmeter match the numbers suggested on the schem please help..  everything else makes sense i have to change some of the
amp cuircuits to different manufacturers do to availability in my town.
thanks guys and hope this isnt to much of a waist of space
also is this going to be my best bet for a real heavy dist i need lots  attack for fast individual note picking and sustain i want the notes to ring out and harmonics to scream. also needs to have a good thrashy rythme for the chugg'n chords. (basically i am looking for the perfect Melodic Speed death metal pedal ) my DOD crapped out and i needed something diff anyways. but i will try this even if it isnt close to what i expect .

RDV

There are 3 pins underneath just like a pot. It goes on the circuit board. There are other types, this seems 2 b the most common. These are available @ www.smallbearelec.com for a reasonable price. They are single turn and will work for most things.

The 100k is the value of the trimpot, and i believe the other # was where he set it to get good sound.

RDV

BodomHatecrew666

kool thanks iv seen those in old stuff i have taken parts out of but they have numbers like 201 , 204 , 103 , 302 do i calculate these like capacitors to get the Kohms or are the # something different.

Lonestarjohnny

http://www.bourns.com/pdf/3006.pdf
Check here, it give's the code for those trimmer's,
Johnny

BodomHatecrew666

Cool thanks that should do me just fine

lightningfingers

The numbers on the trimpots, e.g 103=10 with 3 zeros, = 10 000 ohms, =10K.
U N D E F I N E D

jmusser

That's good information to know. I was kind of wondering about that myself. If that box is anything like the sample, it'll be awesome. It sounds wonderful in the clean boost area or the distorted area. It seems to have quite a bit of sustain too.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

BodomHatecrew666

yeah i guess they use the same numering fomula as with the smaller capacitors and the film caps it is easy to learn and very usefull when trying to find scrap parts to use.. thanks again