JFET as diode in tubescreamer

Started by brrt, August 27, 2004, 04:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brrt

Hi guys,

I'd like to try JFETs in the clipping circuit of a TS-9dx (OA feedbackloop), but I'm not sure which type to use. I'm not really in to JFET...
Any ideas?

greets, Brrt

jimmy

you can use anything you want really. check the FAQ. theres some info in there about using transistors as diodes.

cheers
Jim
"Who the f*** are the naked chefs?" - Ozzy Osbourne

tubes or bust

chumpito

I don't think a jfet will work like a diode exactly.  You can use it for clamping the signal as if it were two diodes connected in a clamping circuit though just run the signal from the drain to source, I forget if the gate has to be grounded or just left disconnected :oops: I think it made a difference.  From what I remember from some book jfets are different from mosfets and trans. etc. in that they conduct equally well from D->S & S->D, so in most circuits you could reverse the S & D without problems.

WGTP

I have used the MPF102 that Radio Shack carries and J201's as well.  They seem to work fine and have a slightly smoother sound than SI diodes do.  Try various combos: Jfet/Jfet, Jfet/SI, Led/Jfet, Led/SI, 2 of on and 1 of another, etc.   8)
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames