OT: Modifying a guitar amp for vocals?

Started by John Egerton, August 27, 2004, 06:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Egerton

Hey guys...

I have a 30w Laney amp with a single 12" speaker....

I also have 2 speakers of the same height of this amp and each one is exactly half the width of the amp...

I am thinking of bolting both speakers to the bottom of the amp and modifying the amp to output through these speakers as well as the main one, however this is not the problem...

I am thinking of using this as a sort of portable PA device for band practices and was wondering if there is a way of modifying the preamp to better work for vocals?

Aternatively I could make a basic mic preamp and use a toggle switch on the front to switch preamps from the mic preamp to guitar preamp and vice versa...

If anyone has any very simpple mic preamp circuits that you think I could use for this project then I'd be more than grateful for them....

If anyone has any advice on this whole project for me, especially any risks involved then could you please let me know..

Thanks...

John
Save a cow... Eat a Vegetarian.........

Gilles C

The first thing that comes to my mind would be to add a tweeter.

And then use a separate mic preamp plugged into the effect loop return of the amp, if you've got one.

petemoore

BION >>> believe it or not.
my brother Played for years through a Strat, an old fashioned large machined aluminum mic, both plugged directly into a Fender Twin!!!
 We have tapes, and it simply amazed me that a twin could do so well on vocals and guitar!!!
 the thing about vocals through modern guitar amps is the 'gain sound' many amps are designed for, mics don't necessarily work 'right' if things are not pretty 'clean'...if you have a very clean channel I'd try that, if there's a power amp in you could maybe preamp that cleanly for mic input.
 The first thing I'd do is plug a mic in the amp and see how clean/loud/pleasant you can get.
 An added, good high quality [must rate 'big' enough so you don't blow it] tweeter/horn is always a big + for amping up a vocal mic.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.