Adjustable AC Supply?

Started by Paul Marossy, August 27, 2004, 12:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

I have built an adjustable power supply using a LM317 regulator, which works fine for DC power. But, lately, I have found myself wanting to have a variable AC power supply, ranging from about 6-13V. Is there a way I can do that? Is it a simple as having a transformer in a box with a rheostat in series with the secondary?

Nasse

When I was a kid they bought me nice Märklin model railway. I think they used to have such transformer in the old days. The secondary was made of bare wire, and there was plastic insulated rotary knob on top of it, a sliding contact moved on top of transformer coil, you could adjust the ac  voltage... I still have the transformer in a junkbox (without the case, I made a fuzzbox or something of it) but the slider I have lost. Don´t know how they are done nowadays.
  • SUPPORTER

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Paul Marossy

Yeah, I guess a variac is what I need, huh? I was thinking that those were for 110V operation, but I guess that could be adapted to lower voltages, couldn't it?

Thanks.  8)

Fret Wire

I have a Staco variac that adjusts from 0 - 140v, 5A, .7KVA. It's got a govt. stamp and sticker on it. No meter, just the graduated dial, on/off toggle, LED, Fuse reset, and 3-prong output receptacle. Not the usual round looking ones, 7 1/12"H x 5 1/2"W x 5 1/2"D, with a carrying handle.

Funny, measured voltages are about 2v higher than the dial settings. My guess is that being older, it was designed/calibrated for 117v.

You can usually find good variac deals on Ebay all the time.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Lonestarjohnny

Paul, I've got some spare Variac's if you need 1,
JD

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Suppose you want 6v AC to 12v AC, just get a variac, and plug a 12v AC tranny into the output. Now, as the variac goes from 0 to 110 (or 0 to 230 here in Australia) the outpuit of the tranny is 0 to 12.
In a CSIRO lab I saw a big variac running a two-bar radiator :shock:  :D

sir_modulus

Paul has a good idea. Model train regs are good too(usually 0-13V AC). You could also build (like me) a super power supply. Just make a adjustable regulated heavily filtered DC supply, and put it through an inverter.