Stripboard ADA Flanger picture!

Started by StephenGiles, August 27, 2004, 05:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGiles

This may set your tongues to twisting - just trying out my new Olympus - bloody awful manual!
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

marrstians

wow... that's out of control... are there traces on the other side of the perf as well?

Fret Wire

Safe to say that won't be featured in the beginners section!

Nice layout work :D
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Above the lower right chip.. please tell me it isn't a 200pf trimmer cap! looks like the prototypes here, except on only one board! plus i expect it works :lol:
Maybe it SHOULD be on the beginners section as an inspiration!

troubledtom

badass!!!!!!!!!!! 8)
     peace,
          - tom

sir_modulus

Man that just scares me......deeply.....me who can't even complete most of ROG's projects.....and thats on perf with copper!

Lonestarjohnny

Now That's What I call PERFIN WITH CHARLIE, But then again they Say Charlie Don't Perf NoMore, or was that SURF ??????? LOL!
Sooooooo Koooooool Gilles,
8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)
Love that Home Grown LOOK !
SUPER Builder, you got my respect !
Johnny

lightningfingers

Yeah cool, i would LOVE to try my hand at one of these, does anyone have a link to a _good_ (i.e not bad?) schematic?
U N D E F I N E D

RDV

How about a ROG style perf layout, aye Mr Giles?

RDV

Marcos - Munky

Really cool!!! :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Ge_Whiz

That's an impressive stripboard build, Stephen.

StephenGiles

Well I sure do appreciate your appreciation here and now folks! Yes it was a tough build to get it all in the space, but I've had a lot of practice over the years. Once you have the basic pattern, and are left alone to concentrate, it's easy. I do intend to do a strip board guide but it will take time - some months I fear. By the way, it's mounted in an old EH 5 knob case. It is a 65p trimmer - an odd value methinks!
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Vsat

Nice looking perfboard job Steve!
How does it sound?
I see that you took my advice to use the trimmer cap to tweak the clock circuit. It certainly helps in optimizing the sound, as you can then set the 4007/4047 clock circuit to the most suitable combination of juicy-sounding sweep and max clock rate. The delay time can be pushed to a minimum of 85 uS with the unit I built (way back when I sent you my list of revised component values and circuit changes, including adding the 4049, replacing the MN3010 with SAD1024, and correcting some obviously wrong resistor values in the original MN3010 version of the schematic). Bill Bergman sent me the  MN3010 schematic and his tidied-up PCB layout - I modified the layout to use the SAD1024 and included the 4049 buffer for hi-speed experiments. Is Bill still on this list?
Regards, Mike

StephenGiles

Hi Mike, hows things? The ADA sounds terrific, even with the 2 elderly PP3 batteries I have temporarily connected! I don't have facilities to make MP3s of the various sounds at the moment - I'll have to sort that out when we get back from South America, we leave on Wednesday. I still see posts from Bill now and then. Did you see the circuits posted some time ago for the ADAs using SAD 1024s?
Stephen

Vsat

Hi Steve,
Keeping busy this side of the Atlantic... currently finishing off a "Smooth Stone" phaser and getting ready to make some wild plum jam as this is a sensational year for wild plums where I live. Yes,  did see the SAD1024-based A/DA schemos that you(?) or someone else made available some time ago. Also noticed that different versions of the Morley flangers use a very similar circuit to the A/DA, but with different BBD's. Even if you're not after super-short delays, the A/DA-Craig Anderton clock circuit would make for a very nice chorus with a slower BBD. BTW I have a couple of diy A/DA mp3's if anyone is curious. And BTW^2, haven't tweaked the ham radio trimmer in at least a year. Have a good trip to S.A.!
Regards, Mike

StephenGiles

Wild plum jam eh! Now, my mother would have jumped at the chance to make some of that, but my dear wife isn't into making jam. The smooth stone phaser sound interesting.
Stephen

Narcosynthesis

is the strip board, as in the bpard with all the holes connected in rows horizontally?

if it is... wow, i managed to completely bugger up a simple circuit building it on that type of board, that must have taken some planning to get everything layed out correctly

David

StephenGiles

Yes, that's right. If you look at the picture you will see dark rings around some holes which I do when I cut the copper tracks on the underside of the board. This makes it much easier for trouble shooting. The first board I made was much bigger, which allowed me to play around with the positioning of the ICs. The problem I had was to position the 4049 and SAD 1024 next to one another so that the clock lines were a short as possible. But I couldn't get them all in one row next to the 4007 and the 4047 so I still had fairly long clock lines btween the 4047 on the right end of the bottom row and the 4049 in the middle, to the left of the SAD 1024. However, it didn't lead to any unwanted clock crap on the audio output.
Stephen

Vsat

Steve,
Regarding that MC3403 - according to the specs it is essentially an LM324 with a different output stage - won't go as low in voltage but has much less crossover distortion than the LM324. That MC3403 has a very wimpy output stage - it is very sensitive to capacitive loading, and will HF oscillate easier than most op amps. A more recent (but still old) single supply op amp that can usually be put directly in place of the 324 is the MC34074 - these are blazing fast in comparison, have a very beefy output stage, yet no HF oscillation problems. For audio stuff they are way  better than the 324 in most respects, and run very nicely on single-supply. The dual version is the MC34072 (note that these are NOT Bifet op amps, despite having similar part no.'s - they are bipolar). I used these in the A/DA Flanger and the Roland System 700 phaser clones with audibly better performance.
Regards, Mike

StephenGiles

Thanks for that information Mike, I'll see if I can get some MC34074s over here. What a pity I didn't use IC sockets!
Stephen