MXR distortion +

Started by tube man in a kilt, August 28, 2004, 09:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

travissk

I completely agree with R.G.'s advice. It's much, much easier to ask for help on a pedal that many of us have built stock as well. If it's your first time I would definitely go with something stock and popular. While some people have tackled a SansAmp as a first build, going exactly where many others have gone before can only help you should problems arise.

Plus, you may like the stock sound once you put all the higher-than-normal quality parts in. Start with sockets, plug the defaults in, then go from there.

Fret Wire - I think Pete has said before it's an unknown computer problem. There are some accessability programs you can turn on by accident (StickyKeys = press shift five times, or there used to be one where you held down shift or caps lock for 5 seconds). Some letters appear to be in lowercase randomly, so it's probably not StickyKeys. That's got to be frustrating.

petemoore

RG's RIGHT< I GET TO TAKING THINGS FOR GRANTED.
 ACTUALLY BUILDING A SIMpLE BOOSTER IS RECOMMENDABle< aND USEFUL FoR THE CHAIN AND THE LeArNING proCESs, plus A low parts Count means generally easier to wire and debug, and low cost for startup.
 LPB IS A SIMPLE BOOSTER THAT USES AN SI NPN TRANSISTOR
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

strungout

Oy.

Did I hear breadboard? That's a great way to learn and get more comfortable with this. I love my breadboard and would be so screwed without it. So, I'd build the circuit as close to the stock version as possible, see how I like it and debug it if needed (check your wiring, re-check your wiring, and then check your wiring again). Then when it's up and working, there's a few simple mods you can do:

-Use a bigger value pot to get more gain.
-Try different diodes.
-Try different input and output caps.

You can read about those kinds of simple mods in the DIY FAQ (up there).

Good luck. Ciao.
"Displaying my ignorance for the whole world to teach".

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".

Fret Wire

Thanks Nightingale :) , but half the time, I don't think I come across clearly.
I thought I was backing what RG said, and I ended up talking about mods. I was trying to say, stop and get a game plan before you proceed. Some people have their mind made up to mod, and I guess all we can do is help them. On the flipside, we're guilty sometimes of bombarding a newbie with a million suggestions too.

Travissk: If you hold the shift key down, you get stickykeys, and a pop-up telling you activated them. Been there and done that. There are other keys you can hold or hit in combo that cause what Pete is going through. Like I said, I had the same problem. I can't tell you the fix, because I couldn't find it, and just re-installed my keyboard software. But if you figure it out, let Pete know, because he is the one pulling his hair out.

BTW, we're got a little OT here. Tube Man, are you still out there? We didn't scare you away did we? The Dist. + is an excellent project if you don't get ahead of yourself.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

tube man in a kilt

ya, im out here, my comp at home is messed up, so i have to use work comp and i am only here in the mornings. ya, i understand the jist of it, the only "mod" im going to make isnt really a mod 'tall, i love the stock sound, but i would like to experiment w. dif OPs and diodes and such, so im simply going to socket them. the other thing id like to do is add a bit more bass in the sound rather than simply using the amps preamp, but whatever. im not going to incorperate that mod into the circuit, im just gonna build it stock w/ the sockets and then play around with part substitution. although i havent built it yet id like to hear from any of you if there would be a way to add a preamp circuit but put it on a differant board and put it in the box. or maybe simply add a bass and treble control circuit (this pedals sound, IMHO, doesnt sound particularly good w/ mid). thanks.

OOO! and what are the compatable OPs and diodes that i could use w/ this pedal so i know what all to get. im going to buy all the diferant options w/ the main parts so i can tinker right off.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

tube man in a kilt

guys? *cough* BUMP!!!!!! *cough*
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

RDV

Any single channel opamp(such as LM741 or NE5534) and any Si(such as 1N4148 or 1N914) or Ge diode.

RDV

tube man in a kilt

ya, ummmm dont know what you mean by single channel op amp. what constitutes a single channel opamp? and a GE diode? what? i have no idea man, spell it out. hahaha.
Signature:

RDV

Quote from: tube man in a kiltya, ummmm dont know what you mean by single channel op amp. what constitutes a single channel opamp? and a GE diode? what? i have no idea man, spell it out. hahaha.
Then read this. http://www.diystompboxes.com/cnews/FAQ.html

RDV

tube man in a kilt

ok, well, went to radioshack last night just to see if they had anything (my radioshack updates its electronic componenets every oh... 5 years. they had the IC socked and a digital 714 opamp. i picked both up. well, i think the final build plan is to socket the diodes and the input/output capacitors as well (to aid me in my quest for more bass). although if anyone could think of an easy way to wire up a bass control pot that would be great.
Signature: