EBS Bass IQ - anyone interested?

Started by mikeb, August 28, 2004, 09:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeb

I found a EBS Bass IQ here in Cash Converters for a good price, so bought it to take a squiz inside and then sell on. It uses a SSM2164, uses a FET bypass system and is *all* surface mount. Quite a neat little piece of engineering, actually! Given the difficulty involved and my lack of time I won't attempt to draw it out unless there's some interest here. It could be cool to find out how they've got the SSM VCA IC happening with the filter circuit; alternatively I can post pics of the PCBs and someone else can sort it out ....????

Mike

Boofhead

I'd be interested in taking a look at it.

I'm a bit pressed for time lately too and tracing SMD circuits from photo's is just that little bit harder.

Mike Burgundy

I'm game. SMD is tough though. If you can get detailed pictures of top and bottom, and wiring, we might be able to pull off a circuit. Values will be impossible from picture, though. It's also quite hard to discern resistors and caps in SMD from pics. But hey, I heard all this great blurb about EBS and can't get it here...lets go!

niftydog

<ears prick up>

So, Mike, what's "a good price"?!?! Let me know when you're offloading this, ok!!?

Never actually heard one, but I'm dying for an EBS Octabass myself...
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

niftydog

ok, now that I've heard one I'm drooling over my keyboard... keep me in the loop Mike!!!!  :D  :D  :D
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!

Bent Penguin

I would LOVE to see this!

On a side note I'm about ready to release a full reverse engineer on a late model fooltone fooldrive2. If anyone is interested in hosting the PDF file let me know.

mikeb

Ok, sounds like there's some interest .... I'll get some pictures up first, and then we'll see how it goes as a 'group' tracing effort. I'm interested to see how the VCA IC is used, as the 'attack' control really is very effective - it allows quite long sweeps without any of the fussiness of a FWR arrangement (although there still is some 'burbling', but it's only noticable in isolation and if you listen for it).

Steve, I've PMed you... ;)

Mike

Mike Burgundy

Can't wait!
And whoohoo, agreed on the octabass! They claim it can handle chords? Now that I'll believe when I hear it...

Boofhead

Disco_Gee

I've been looking for a info on the BassIQ for a long time! I would love to see traces or photo's if you've got them!!

mikeb

I took a bunch of pictures yesterday, but don't know how useful they will be - I'll check them out today. I really should desolder the pots mounted to the board, but my solder sucker is stuffed and to be honest I'm too busy to spend more time on it. Hopefully we can suss something out from what I have ... more soon.

Mike

Disco_Gee

Hey Mike, do you still have the BassIQ? Would you be interested in selling it?

niftydog

Sorry Discoz_Gee, already snapped it up! It is in Canberra though! Highly recommended if you're thinking about buying one!

A fellow Canberran! Who would have thunk it!? You playing in any bands around town?
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!

Disco_Gee

ah snap! The idea of offering to buy it never crossed my mind until about 5 days ago, wish I had thought of that earlier!

It's funny that it ended up in Canberra though. I'm not playing in any bands at the moment Niftydog, just at church. What about you? Any chance of being able to head into town and see the BassIQ in action somewhere?

niftydog

unfortunately no... my singer had a case of the "I wanna get famous quick" syndrome and left us hanging. I'll be starting somthing this summer, once I've finished my Electronic Engineering Dip. I'll be sure to plug it on the forum!

They have some pretty cool sound bites at the EBS website.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!

Mike Burgundy

Mike, nifty, any chance of something (pictures, etc) to reverse-engineer still?

niftydog

Mike has some piccys, but there was some ICs underneath the pots and he wasn't too keen on desoldering the daughter board to get some pictures.

I'm at least going to suss out what they've done around the SSM2164

Will keep the board informed.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!