Something i noticed...for newbies?anyone..

Started by jimbob, August 29, 2004, 12:50:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

I noticed that the ( Mill-Max 8-pin IC Socket, Machine) is so very much easier to solder leads to than the leaf ones. Save some time and buy the machine pin ones---i learned the long and hard way.. I used to buy the Ratshack ones and they suck..but are better than nothing..
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Peter Snowberg

I won't buy anything but machined sockets these days. Expensive.... but worth every penny and then some. :D
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Yeah, it is always machined sockets for me (feels funny though, often the chip costs less than the socket!!). I have had REALLY bad experience with 'surplus' leaf sockets tarnishing. In analog synths dfrom yesteryear, tarnished sockets are sometimes a terrible source of grief.

sir_modulus

are leaf the ones with the little flats strips of metal? and Machine I'm guessing are the expensive sockets with round pins at active? if so, then I really like the machine ones, as the leafs ones break and shoot chunks everywhere when trying to make them into three pin sockets.

My personal favourite are the wirewrap ones(they have long copper legs and trasistors fit very snugly in them.