what does this Diode network do exactly?

Started by Phorhas, August 29, 2004, 03:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phorhas

I saw this diode network- two diode shunting to ground on each side and a diode connecting them in the middle - on several FX (V-Twin 4 example) and I wonder what does this do exactly? what's the purpose for the the diode in the middle?

http://www.tubefreak.com/V-Twinp.gif
Electron Pusher

RobB

Doides D1 to D5 give you a clipping threshold of six diodes (three each way) for the price of 5.  If you follow a conventional current from the signal line to earth you will have pass through 3 diodes.  If you follow a conventional current from earth to the signal line, again you will have pass through 3 diodes.  3 * 0.7 = 2.1 volts either way.  

The same thing could be achieved using three in a row each way (six diodes).  

The Marshall JMP1 has the same arrangement. Compactness and lower parts count.

Phorhas

is that all?

does MESA find it too expensive or complicated to use the regular 3-in-a-row setup?
Electron Pusher

smoguzbenjamin

Maybe it's also cause it looks fancy :mrgreen: Plus, saving 20 ccents once isn't much, but saving 20 cents over 5000 times is gonna be a lot more. $1000 to be precise, and I'm sure MESA makes more than 5000 amps a year :P
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

RobB

Two components (bridge rectifier + diode) to be placed instead of 6 may also save time on the production line.

Alex C

Above the diodes in the schematic it says "4x1N4148."  It doesn't specify what type the fifth should be, and I can't imagine that it would matter.  Is this a misprint or am I missing something?

Alex

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: Alex CAbove the diodes in the schematic it says "4x1N4148."  It doesn't specify what type the fifth should be, and I can't imagine that it would matter.  Is this a misprint or am I missing something?
Alex

Interestingly, it sometimes DOES matter what the 5th diode is. Imagine what happens if it is a zener, for ezample, and the diode ring is arranged so that it is reversed against the others. Then you get a circuit that conducts as though it is a symmetric zener. And so on. And if it is Ge, then it looks as though there are parallel Ge diodes there (with each having 2 1N4148s in series). Not that this is what is happening here AFAIK, buyt it is a useful circuit trick.