new disign--------------->clips

Started by Brian Marshall, August 30, 2004, 02:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Marshall

http://subdecay.com/trem.mp3

what does everyone think....

BTW the batter was a little low... not usually that distorted.... but it does still need a little work.

basically it is an envelope filter and a trem/stutter in one circuit.

recorded direct thu a boss gx700

joshwatson

sounds pretty cool. what adjustable parameters are there,  do you have any more samples?  also how controlable is the filter,  it would be cool to be able to adjust the intesity of the envelope.

Brian Marshall

so far its not very controlable, but it is only on bread board

filter freq
trem speed
trem shape/depth

im having a problem with the parts count though.... the circuit is just bigger than i want it to be.....

right now Im using an opamp half wave rectifier based envelope sensor.... i think if i changed that to an opto circuit it might be a little smaller....  but i always feel like optos are cheating.

joshwatson

death by audio makes a opto tremolo with a fuzz on it, he said it can get very synthy sounding,  i have yet to hear one though sounds interesting.  if you are in need of any prototypers and can give me a good deal i would be interested. i noticed your link went to subdecays website, i really like the liquid sunshine,  i use it quite a bit to drive the shit out of my champ type tube amps.

Brian Marshall

Quote from: joshwatsondeath by audio makes a opto tremolo with a fuzz on it, he said it can get very synthy sounding,  i have yet to hear one though sounds interesting.  if you are in need of any prototypers and can give me a good deal i would be interested. i noticed your link went to subdecays website, i really like the liquid sunshine,  i use it quite a bit to drive the shit out of my champ type tube amps.

Wow, small world....  I hang out here a little.... to give back a little, and learn a little as well.  I must admit that most of the stuff i build are things that I WANT.  I think between the stupid box, and the Liquid sunshine, i have no more desire for dirt boxes.... at least not right now.

i actually got inspired to build this new project from listening to Money by pink floyd...... Gilmore was actually using a wah and probably the trem channel of a fender twin or something.....  a lot of the stuff that i come up with doesnt always translate in to a new product though.  I would say 50% of the stuff i start i never even finish.

Ive been working on a guitar synth and an 2 channel amp sim for about 6 months..... no end in sight.

joshwatson

im jsut a lurker that likes effects. i dont have the time to build effects but i really appreciate the sense of community that this forum provides, i looked at the forum for months before posting, there is so much great info on here even for non builders and the posters are very nice and patient. a guitar synth seems like it would be quite hard to make,  although i ahve had pretty good results by have the effects chain >>> guitar>>>sunshine>>>>phaser>>>envelope>>>jeverman G2(or any kind of "dirty" fuzz)..  maybe even a envelope filter with a distortion built into that interacted with the circuit would be cool.

Peter Snowberg

8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  :D

Nice design Brian!
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

RDV

thomas2

tee se itse tai kuole

strungout

"Displaying my ignorance for the whole world to teach".

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".

Marcos - Munky

Great!!! Are you thinking to make the schematic public when you finish it? A filter speed pot will make it more versatile.

sir_modulus

would it be difficult for you to include that distortion as an option? sounds good with it also.

Brian Marshall

Quote from: Marcos - MunkyGreat!!! Are you thinking to make the schematic public when you finish it? A filter speed pot will make it more versatile.

I probably will.   Then again, i promised the Liquid sunshine months ago, and just havent had enough time to get it off of paper and on to my computer.

There isnt really anything earth shattering or surprising going on in there, with the exception possibly of the way i am using a jfet to control the stutter, and using an LED as variable resistor in an opamp feed back loop.  The more i think about it though, i may end up trying to convert it to use some bipolars to replace some of the opamps.  especially for the LFO, and the filter.

We will see.