Op amps and the recording industry.

Started by Bluesgeetar, August 30, 2004, 07:32:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilles C

Nice reading, thanks.

I read a bit about op-amps lately. and I begin to think that I'll have to do my own tests and opinion...

Berhinger says in their manual for the MIC200 preamp that they used the 4580 which they describe as "state-of-the-art" to get a good sound.

But on the diyAudio forum, I read that it wasn't that good...  :?:

-------True, amany pro A/D are not much good. Computer cards are even worse (they use 4558 or 4580 opamps! - the cheapest).-------

and

-------- Good pro ones or new ones use better elements, for example Lynx Two or L22 (2-channel version of Lynx Two) both use OPA2227 and OP275 (significantly better then 4558 or 4580), E-mu 1212M and 1820M use JRC2068 (used widely in Consumer good electronics), they are also better then 4558 or 4580 (less distortions).-------

That's from: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-38868.html

:?:  :?:  :?:  :?  :roll: :?:  :?:  :?:

I think I'd like to compare an OP275, a 4580, and a 4558 in the same circuit.

I'm supposed to receive the MIC200 I ordered over a month ago this week, so I'll be able to check that for myself. That and the sound of the "hand selected 12AX7" they used to build it.  :wink:

Gilles

Bluesgeetar

sweet!  I may look into swapping out the Opamps in my 1820M setup.  They seem to give nice remarks to the rest of the components in my EMU 1820M.  Replace that JRC2068 with something better.  Hell I don't know why I didn't think of this before!!!!!!!!  Buying a sound card setup and upgrade that sucker component wise!!!!!!!!!!  Hell yeah!   Replace the electrolytic with tants.  Replace Silver mica where possible.  Or maybe do WIMA caps.  Sounds like fun ahead for the EMU.  Those fellers seem the think the DACs and ADCs in the EMU are nice so I can leave those.

Shit!  Thanks Gilles!  Can't believe I didn't think of this earlier. :D

Johan

Quote from: Bluesgeetarsweet!  I may look into swapping out the Opamps in my 1820M setup.  They seem to give nice remarks to the rest of the components in my EMU 1820M.  Replace that JRC2068 with something better.  Hell I don't know why I didn't think of this before!!!!!!!!  Buying a sound card setup and upgrade that sucker component wise!!!!!!!!!!  Hell yeah!   Replace the electrolytic with tants.  Replace Silver mica where possible.  Or maybe do WIMA caps.  Sounds like fun ahead for the EMU.  Those fellers seem the think the DACs and ADCs in the EMU are nice so I can leave those.

Shit!  Thanks Gilles!  Can't believe I didn't think of this earlier. :D

please remember that many times things can be designed around a certain IC and replacing them with ones that are "better" on paper might no give a better result at all....if it sounds good, works as intended and is still under warranty, leave it alone...

Johan
DON'T PANIC

Bluesgeetar

Yeah Johan, I think I'm gonna send some emails to EMU support and get some feedback from the EMU guru named ICHI on the EMU forums about whether or not I can upgrade the units OpAmps and improve it instead of hurt it.