switching between transistors + more

Started by corbs, August 30, 2004, 10:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corbs

after the huge success of my first two fuzz builds (thanks for the help guys :) ) i've decided to make things more complicated for myself.

i want to be able to switch between three different transistors in a fuzz. what switch / wiring set up would people recommend as i can't find a switch with that many poles...

also i'm thinking of joining two fuzz circuits together in one box, is there a way to have a switch that'll change which circuit the signal runs into first?

thanks for any pointers,

chris.

R.G.

You want to ...footswitch... between three different transistors live, in performance???

Why not just build three effects, same except for the three different transistors, and switch between them?
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

GreenEye

I think we all ask the same questions sooner or later.  See my thread on "two pedals in one box."

-J

corbs

Quote from: R.G.You want to ...footswitch... between three different transistors live, in performance???

sorry no, just flick a switch, or have a rotory or something. i don't know what switch tho, hence the post ;)

QuoteWhy not just build three effects, same except for the three different transistors, and switch between them?

this way i could have tons of combinations without needing to switch verious boxes. plus it'll save a ton of space.

Quote from: GreenEyeI think we all ask the same questions sooner or later.  See my thread on "two pedals in one box."

am reading now :)

Mihkel

If it a two transistor fuzz, I think you can use a DPDT.

R.G.

Quotesorry no, just flick a switch, or have a rotory or something. i don't know what switch tho, hence the post
OK, got ya.

You need at least a 2PxT switch. The "x" is the number of transistors you want to switch. You can get 2P rotary switches in up to 12 throws.

Here's how you hook it up. Connect all the transistor collectors together, and wire all of those to the "collector" place in the circuit. Connect the "base" place in the circuit to one of the poles, and the "emitter" place in the circuit to the other pole. Then for each transistor, connect the base to a throw on the "base" set of throws, and the emitter to the corresponding emitter throw on the emitter set of throws.

This will pop - loudly! - when you switch it if you have it turned on and plugged into a live amp.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

corbs

Thats really usful thanks, i'll give it a go.

Quote from: R.G.This will pop - loudly! - when you switch it if you have it turned on and plugged into a live amp.

it begs the quesiton, is there a way to avoid this at all? i don't mind how convoluted /complex the switching system is as it's just for me :).

R.G.

Quoteit begs the quesiton, is there a way to avoid this at all? i don't mind how convoluted /complex the switching system is as it's just for me

Sure - make yourself a momentary switch that shorts the signal to ground. Press that,  turn the selector switch, then let up on the mute.

Aside from that, there are some godawful setups that would be more automated, but they're really far afield, as what you have to do is three operations in sequence - mute, switch, unmute.
R.G.