New "Scribble" Paint Job!

Started by phillip, August 30, 2004, 06:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillip

So I was watching History channel a while back and the show featured a WWI German aircraft which was painted in a very cool and intricate looking "scribble" style "camouflage" pattern and I thought that it would look extremely cool on an effects pedal, and here's the result:

The base color is a Duplicolor light blue metallic acrylic lacquer and the scribble pattern was painted on with a Testors white paint pen with the tip trimmed a little for a smaller pattern.  It's not exactly a professional paint job, but I didn't intend it to be ;)

Phillip

gez

Fuzz pedal at 12 o clock...I'm going in for the kill!  :P

Nice!  8)
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

phillip

Quote from: gezFuzz pedal at 12 o clock...I'm going in for the kill!  :P

Nice!  8)

Overdrive 250 with switchable clipping diodes to be exact ;)

Phillip

brian wenz

Hello Phillip--
    Looks good!   I'm glad you got yer 250 all sorted out...what input cap did you settle on??
  Go to some hobby stores and check out the books on  WW I and WW II combat aircraft for some good ideas on designs.  [Actually, the library and regular bookstores have cool stuff, too.]
Brian.

phillip

Looks like I'm going with a 0.0047uF input capacitor on this one...help brighten up the sound with my all-Fender rig.  With a Telecaster (albeit heavily modified) and a 100W Twin Amp, I definitely don't like when a circuit kills the treble response!

I'm using a heavily modified version of FP's (Tonepad) layout of the Dist +...added a few parts and changed a few parts values to make it like the OD250, then I also added a power supply filtering capacitor, reverse polarity protection diode, input pulldown resistor, an extra pair of LEDs for clipping, along with the original Silicon clipping diodes.  I also moved some parts around a little so that the layout isn't as tight.

There are definitely some great camouflage paint patterns used in WWI and WWII...not only on aircraft, but also on vehicles and ships, just waiting to be adapted to stompboxes.  I like the "scribble" pattern for it's dizzying value.  There's a really wild pattern from WWI and some WWII warships and merchant ships that was called "dazzle" because of the wild designs and colors that were used to confuse U-Boat commanders looking for a target through a periscope.

Phillip

brian wenz

Hello Phillip--
     Yeah, the "dazzle" is a good one!   If you really wanted to go nutz you could airbrush the design as if it were a model plane [or ship] and coat it with clear lacquer......more hobby shop stuff!
Brian.

Sic

phillip

Danke guys!  

Brian, it sounds like you're a history buff too!  History was always of great interest to me...my TV is almost always turned to History Channel.  Mail Call has to be my favorite program...gotta love R. Lee Ermy!  Oorah!

I've always wanted to get an airbrush and spray on acrylic lacquers to make camouflage patterns...then the lines of the pattern would be blurred on the edges like the real patterns generally were when applied to equipment using spray equipment.  With something like dazzle the edges were a hard line since they were painted with brushes by those poor chaps hanging over the side of the ships on little rigs like skyscraper window cleaners use.

With this OD250, I'm going to paint the white washer of the stomp switch(which came from Aron...excellent, fast service!) a nice black to match the knobs and make more of a contrast against the light blue and white paint.  The white washer just kinda melts in...don't like the look of that too much.

Phillip

bwanasonic

Quote from: phillip
There are definitely some great camouflage paint patterns used in WWI and WWII...not only on aircraft, but also on vehicles and ships, just waiting to be adapted to stompboxes.

You can also find some nice authentic water-slide decals for model making that might be a nice touch. You could have a nice line of pedals named Stuka, ME-109, Zero, Corsair, etc.

With the right color scheme, the scribble pattern would look *brain-like*. Paint on a couple of eyeballs for the "Fiend Without a Face" pedal...

Kerry M

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
     Great ideas, Kerry!   A good hobby shop has tons of ideas for painting and designs.
"Fiend Without A Fuzz"  !
Brian.

Peter Snowberg

That looks awesome!  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

troubledtom

very cool ! 8)
  peace,
   -tom

phillip

Ah...hey did you guys know that clear lacquer will convert enamel (like the white enamel that I used for the scribble patten) into sticky mush?

I absolutely hate enamel...I painted that design on there yesterday afternoon and the crap was still sticky this afternoon.  I'm going to find a gold metallic LACQUER paint pen and redo the scribble paint job on the same light blue base (which will also have to be resprayed).  Lacquer dries in minutes and 10x harder than enamel...God save lacquer!

Phillip

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
   Yeah, never put lacquer over enamel.   I found some water-based stuff at an art supply store called  "Apple Barrel Colors"  Craft Paint that works great for brush-on designs.  After I'm done  "designing" I let it dry for a couple of hours and then spray clear lacquer over it.
Brian.

Lonestarjohnny

Never put Laquer over enamel unless you want a Krinkly finish, LOL !
if you shoot a Laquer base coat you can shoot Acylic Enamel clear over the Laquer and it's no problem.
Johnny

phillip

Ah well...minor setback!  If I did it once, I can do it again...I hope ;)  I can have the new lacquer base color on and dry in about 10 minutes or so after stripping the paint that's on there now off using a chemical stripper.

Just need to make a trip to Wal Mart and get one of the Saddle Metallic acrylic lacquer (more of a light tan metallic) touch-up pens ;)  I think that tan metallic scribbles will look better on that light blue metallic than the white.

Phillip

Lonestarjohnny

Sound's like it will look great, I love Laquer paint's, they dry fast, easy to touch up, and a clear coat over it, you got a nice durable paint job. My Stepdad owned a body shop for about 40 year's or so before retireing, you know I had the Best lookin 57 2 Door Hardtop Chevy in the county, no filler, dollied out and hand sanded Sunrise Red, 8 coat's Clear and buffed to a finish that was beyond description.
I still kick my butt for getting rid of that one !  :(
Johnny