A Two fuzz Day

Started by jmusser, August 30, 2004, 08:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmusser

I just got finished with The Orange Sunshine, and the Buzz box. They are still in the build fixture waiting to be put into boxes. The Orange Sunshine I like a lot, and with things turned just right, you can get the "Satisfaction" buzz tone. The Sunshine has a fairly coarse fuzz, but can't even be remotely compared with the "Buzz Box". To date, the Buzz Box is the nastiest standard (non- up octave) fuzz I have built, and may be "the" nastiest standard fuzz that can be built. It has several qualities of the Tycobrahe Octavia, along with what I call the "Tyco Splatter" sound of hitting an open chord, and it sounds like an explosion. I was surprised that the Buzz Box was actually too buzzy to make the "Satisfaction" tone. It's way too raggedy for that. I believe if I fool around with it though, it should come very close to the "Spirit in thr Sky" fuzz tone I've also been looking for. I would guess that the next effect will be the Ricky Vance mistake on his Tone Bender Mk II. He says that his mods made it sound like a kazoo, which is another sound I'm looking for. Then, Tim's Jawari and Brox Cheer will be next in line after I order a couple things from Steve Daniels. Ahh yes, the instant gradification of effects!
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

cd

Is this "Buzz Box" you're referring to the DOD Buzz Box, or some other circuit?

travissk

Sorry for jumping in on someone else's question, but since I haven't seen a Dod Buzz Box schematic before, I'll bet it's this Buzz Box:

http://home-wrecker.com/bazz.html

cd

Thanks for the clarification, travissk.  I was wondering about the description, since it somewhat matches the DOD Buzz Box - which is a truly, truly horrible, nasty, disgusting pedal.

jmusser

I don't know anything about the DOD Buzz Box. This circuit came off the http//:www.home-wrecker.com  site. I'm not sure who's site this is, but he had a series of mods of Hemmo's Bazz Fuzz in there, and the last of these, is the Buzz Box. It is basically two Bazz Fuzzes in series with a 1N34 diode used in the second stage. This thing should be called "Nasty Bastard" instead. He has a sound sample on there that'll give you some idea of what I'm talking about.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

shawn

I'd love to see a schematic of the DOD Buzz Box!

MartyMart

I just built the "Buzz Box" and it is a very nasty little bastard indeed !!
Very simple circuit and a fun 20 minute build, HIGHLY recommended.
I stuck a volume/drive control at the front end too, so you dont have to always use the guitar vol to change the "Fuzz" amount.
Instant '70's Fuzz.
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

jmusser

Marty, what value of pot and how was it wired into the circuit? The more I play this Buzz Box, the more I like it. Oh yeah, any more information out there on the DOD Buzz Box, or was this just on someone's wish list?

MartyMart

I used a 20k log pot, between the jack input and the connection to the board/switch, jack to lug 1, 2/3 to board.
A 5k or 10k would be better i think, as it all happens in the last 25% of the 20k pot.
Dont know anything about the DOD Buzzbox ??
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

christian

QuoteTo date, the Buzz Box is the nastiest standard (non- up octave) fuzz I have built

it is an octave-up fuzz. may not seem like one, but it is. did you use sxttkky/germanium diode in the first stage and silicon on the second?i don´t know who turned into using germanium in the second-stage? original i built (which was an accident) had the schkottky in the first stage. does it really work too with otherway around??

ch (and stop calling me HEMMO!)
who loves rain?

Christ.

jmusser

I built this just like the schematic, and it sounds great with the germanium in the second stage. I can definitely believe that this is an octave up circuit, because it has that "Tycho explosion" on the open chord strum. It has some of the charateristics (nastiness) of the tychobrahe and yet is full bodied and bassy. The more I tinker with it, the more awesome I think it is. Oh by the way, would you rather have me call you hemmosapien? Thanks for the circuit Christian!

jmusser

I went to the magic web, and it assured me that yes, there is  (was) a DOD Buzz Box  that was so nasty that the designer wondered why anyone would ever want one! I haven't researched to see when they quit making them, but it would be nice to have a schematic for one. By the box style, I am guessing that it was put out about the same time as one of their other defunct boxes, "The Gonkulator".

noisepunk

Quote from: jmusserI went to the magic web, and it assured me that yes, there is  (was) a DOD Buzz Box  that was so nasty that the designer wondered why anyone would ever want one! I haven't researched to see when they quit making them, but it would be nice to have a schematic for one. By the box style, I am guessing that it was put out about the same time as one of their other defunct boxes, "The Gonkulator".

yeah, you have the melvins to thank for that particluar gem. buzzo from the melvins was quoted in lots of gtr mags at the time (early-mid) 90's about how much he liked the mxr blue box, so dod cloned it, tweaked it, and put his name on it. this was all before mxr started reissuing the original blue box. i think it (buzz box)only lasted a couple of years...

aron

I'd like to hear what your Orange Sunshine sounds like. Mine is pretty darn raspy and does not sound smooth at all.

RDV

Quote from: aronI'd like to hear what your Orange Sunshine sounds like. Mine is pretty darn raspy and does not sound smooth at all.
Ditto.

RDV

jmusser

Mine definitely doesn't sound raspy. I have a buddy that has all the stuff to record to the computer, so maybe I can record a sample sometime. In the mean time, I tell you what parts I made it from. First of all, I made it from a bunch of salvaged crap that I had laying around. The input and out put caps are massive orange things about an 1" around and 3/8" in diameter. They are Sprague 2PS-P10 .1 +/- 10% 200 DC. The second transistor emmiter has a 1/2 watt 20% carbon comp, and a 10uf electrolytic. Both transistors I believe are MPSA18s. None of this may have any significance at all, or may mean something to you who are knowledgable. Mine sounds surprisingly good. This schematic didn't specify any specific components to be used, so I just used what I had the most of. I noticed that it does say "Uses Everyeady 226" I would guess this means "Eveready 226". Is this a transitor name, battery name, or good old fashioned misprint? I do remember you  (Aron) saying once upon a time that you didn't like the sound of the Orange Sunshine. What parts did you use, and what is normally recommended?

jmusser

I meant 1" long and 3/8" in diameter orange cap, and a 1/2 watt 10% carbon comp.