I soldered two of my fingers together today!

Started by Mobisimo, August 30, 2004, 09:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobisimo

Hey all,

In actuality, this has nothing to do with soldering bodyparts together (sorry to all those who are disappointed to hear it).  Sorry for the deceptive title, but I figured I might get more views if I didn't have something boring like 'new overdrive.'
Anyway, I am hoping to get some input on an overdrive pedal to build.  I am looking for something that is very tube-like in sound and response.  Preferably, it won't introduce a lot of noise, and... well... I guess that's all the criteria.  Right now, the BSIAB II is looking the most promising, but I wanted to check with you all before I went ahead and started.  Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Aaron

niftydog

I was about to ask if you're some kind of cyborg or something... in my experience, solder burns, but it won't make much of a joint on your skin. Try circuit board laquer next time, much more sticking power!
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

Mobisimo

Lol.  I'll let you know how that works out...  :wink:

cd

Quote from: MobisimoSorry for the deceptive title, but I figured I might get more views if I didn't have something boring like 'new overdrive.'

You need to lurk more - if you ask an honest question, you'll find most here are more than happy to help out.

STOMPmole

I am disappointed to hear that!  -Apology accepted.

tcobretti

What kind of amp do you have?  Your amp is critical when choosing pedals.  Some pedals simply don't sound good with some amps but sound great with others.

If you have a tube amp, a tube screamer is a pretty good place to start.

You really should try some of the amp simulators at http://www.runoffgroove.com.  Those things are crazy.

I'm currently in love with the Bazz Fuzz pedal detailed at http://home-wrecker.com/articles.html.  It's is simple and sounds great.  It's more of a fuzz than a overdrive, but its simplicity is breathtaking.  Be sure to build it with a darlington.

jimbob

I built the Bsiab II the other day and its great!! One of the very best yet.. Runoffgroove's 18 sounds great too!
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

lightningfingers

QuoteI am looking for something that is very tube-like in sound and response.

Well what about a Real McTube? Or a Shaka Tube? You won't get much closer to tube-like sound and response 8) You may also want to try the tube driver from GGG, the EQ is really nice, but it is noisy way too noisy for recording.

And, I only looked here at this thread to see your soldered together fingers :lol:

Have fun[/quote]
U N D E F I N E D

Paul Marossy

I built the Shaka Tube and the Real McTube II. They are both good circuits. The Shaka Tube is easier to build since it only requires one transformer compared to the back to back transformer arrangment on the McTube. There is a page on both of these projects on my website. I think I like the Shaka Tube the best. The McTube is a close second.

GreenEye

Wow, your trickery worked.

I am on the same quest for tubeyness and such.  Just based on reviews, sound clips, and schematics, these are on my wish list:

Runoff Groove: Odie, Tube Reamer, and New Clipper
General Guitar Gadgets:  Blue Magic and BSIAB II
Aron's: Rocket and Hornet (althought the Hornet is supposed to be pretty gritty)

Of course, there's always the Tube Screamer, but why use the same thing as a million other people?

If you have the knowhow to not kill yourself with high voltage, I'd suggest one of the real tube driven ones, like the Real McTube II.

smoguzbenjamin

Just referring to the two fingers burnt together thing:

OWWWWWWWWWWWWW  :lol:
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

MartyMart

I've just built the tube reamer and the BSIAB II, after a few "mods" to the reamer ( to help clean it up a little) its now fantastic and the BSIAB is a monster ! highly recommend it, Ed did a fantastic job with it 10/10
Cheers,
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

jimbob

The Tube Reamer is very tube sounding.. I like that one as well..Low part count and great tube-ish sound.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Transmogrifox

I really liked the audio samples I've heard of the BSIAB II.  I think you're onto something there.

Along with that, try some of Doug Hammond's FET circuits.  His Sweet Thing, Sweet 16, and some of the others are worth checking out.

Another one I loved was (I think it was Doug Hammond's) a Vox Top Boost sim FET circuit that he had experimental on his bread board.  That was my favorite of what I've heard so far, but you would have to see if he would send or post a schematic of it.  That thing was sweet sounding.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

RDV

Oh man! I hate it when that happens!...............What? A deception? Oh, I see. Well then. I think you should hedge your bets a bit and build them all!

RDV

Mobisimo

Thank you all for your replies.  It looks like the BSIAB II is a sure bet.  In the mean time, while I'm getting my act together, I might throw together a tube reamer.  The simulations on runoffgroove also look very attractive and buildable.  
I'll let you all know what works out.  Once again, thanks and apologies.

Aaron