Finished Govn'r but something missing

Started by jimbob, August 31, 2004, 02:02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

I finished the Govnr but it seems as though its missing some low end/ mids..With all those damned pots youd think there would be a little more control..I wasnt sure if i use the small red leds or reg siise ones ( 3mm versus 5mm.) so i tried them both and they all light up when i hit a note,, but when i take them out completely ( i have them socketed) its still sounds the same. Theres a decent amount of distortion and tons of gain ( volume)..Whats wrong here? Why not a change with the leds and why does it sound so empty when i palm mute the low E string? So far my Bsiab II eats this one alive!

any help?

thanks
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

jimbob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject:    Reply with quote
Hey petemoore !!!!! you're really the guru number one !!!! looking for the bias problem as you suggested, i replaced the resistor (680K) between the pins # 7 and # 6 by a 1M pot. When the resistence down (near 0), the crappy sound dessappears. Then, i replaced the pot by a jumper and the sound was warm, full of harmonics and sustain. Now, the gain drecreases a little bit, but the effect works as well. Thank you for your advice and help.

I found this sounds a lot like my problem..I was wondering how to change out the 680k w a 1m pot as listed above..WHich leads go where? Theres 3 on a pot and 2 places on the board where the 680k was..--or--as listed above--should i just take a jumper from those 2 places? A little comfused..

thanks
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Just use the middle pin and either end pin of the pot, then you have a resistance that varies from 0 to 1 meg.

cd

I would not get rid of that 680k resistor.  It sets the gain for that stage (680k/10k = 68x gain when the GAIN pot is up all the way).  When the GAIN pot is at half, the second stage only has 10x gain.  If you have the GAIN cranked there should be plenty of distortion - enough to clip the LEDs.  If the LEDs are lighting up they're working as they should, replacing the 680k with a 1M pot won't do anything.

Triple check all your wiring, especially the GAIN control, it's wired up in a non-standard way.

Ansil

ifyou wanted to put anything on a pot do the 10k fixed resistor before the second opampstage with a 25k pot that way you can get a little more drive than intended and a little less too. its a nice mod that i have done for my customers.  did you doulbe check the orientation of the leds so that one is opposite from the other.

Lonestarjohnny

Hey Jimbob,
Last time i finished a Bottle of Ol' Governer by myself i had the same feeling  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:
Like somethin missing  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Johnny