voltage question

Started by talking_goat, August 31, 2004, 09:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talking_goat

I have a quick voltage question.
I have recently purchased a BBE sonic maximizer from the US (I'm in Australia) and have found that the plug is the US type and the power cord. So basically I can't plug it into the wall.
The question is, how can I get around this? Is it as simple as finding a universal adapter or will the voltages differ or something??

niftydog

do you have the manual? Read it. If you don't, look at it more closely, or even pop the lid and hunt around;

I don't know exactly WHICH BBE device you have, but according to their website, some have a switchable power supply that will accept either ~115V/60Hz or ~230V/50Hz.

But DO NOT just change the plug and plug it in... expensive, smelly mistake.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

talking_goat

Quote from: niftydogdo you have the manual? Read it. If you don't, look at it more closely, or even pop the lid and hunt around;

I don't know exactly WHICH BBE device you have, but according to their website, some have a switchable power supply that will accept either ~115V/60Hz or ~230V/50Hz.

But DO NOT just change the plug and plug it in... expensive, smelly mistake.

Thanks, I'll jump on their site again and find the manual.
I wasn't meaning to changed the plug, I was thinking of those adapter things that people (mostly tourists) buy when they are going overseas.

talking_goat

This is the model I have. It doesn't sound like the power source is switchable. Have I got a lemon????

http://www.bbesound.com/pdfs/482_manual.pdf

niftydog

still bad news. US is 110VAC, Aus is 240VAC. Feeding over twice the expected voltage into the circuit is very bad... unless it's designed to cope.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!

talking_goat

Quote from: niftydogstill bad news. US is 110VAC, Aus is 240VAC. Feeding over twice the expected voltage into the circuit is very bad... unless it's designed to cope.

So is there anyway I can use it safely?

sir_modulus

Whats a sonic maximizer ( I'm assuming it's audio for the following warning). Audio devices that use AC are toasted by the lower freq of the power. I think it can damage transformers, but i dunno. If your up to a challenge, you can make 120VAC (clean power) @ 60 hz (but it's hard to do). PM me if you want to else, take the risk.

talking_goat

Quote from: sir_modulusWhats a sonic maximizer ( I'm assuming it's audio for the following warning). Audio devices that use AC are toasted by the lower freq of the power. I think it can damage transformers, but i dunno. If your up to a challenge, you can make 120VAC (clean power) @ 60 hz (but it's hard to do). PM me if you want to else, take the risk.

I'm struggling to put together a beginners stomp box, so I'm really not thinking it's a good idea for me to open this up.

I was wondering if there was an easy fix or if there was a step down adaptor or something?

niftydog

it's not a lemon... you just can't plug it in easily!

You can buy "step-down transformers" that will convert 240VAC to 110VAC. Can be expensive, and are generally heavy... but a quick and simple solution nonetheless.

You could replace the transformer, if you can find an appropriate one that fits in the case. Try http://www.altronics.com.au

In fact, depending on the transformer, you could even have one custom wound. You may be able to send the original transformer to someone and they'll wind one as close as the can to those specs, but for 240VAC operation. Try Harbuch Electronics.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!

niftydog

the manual specifies either 50 or 60Hz.

buy a step down transformer for immediate satisfaction, and consider in the future replacing the internal transformer.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!

talking_goat

Quote from: niftydogit's not a lemon... you just can't plug it in easily!

You can buy "step-down transformers" that will convert 240VAC to 110VAC. Can be expensive, and are generally heavy... but a quick and simple solution nonetheless.

You could replace the transformer, if you can find an appropriate one that fits in the case. Try http://www.altronics.com.au

In fact, depending on the transformer, you could even have one custom wound. You may be able to send the original transformer to someone and they'll wind one as close as the can to those specs, but for 240VAC operation. Try Harbuch Electronics.

http://www.tortech.com.au/stepdown2.html

Is that the sort of thing you mean by step-down transformer?? That thing is huge!!!

To replace the transformer what would I need to do??

talking_goat

Would this one do the trick???:

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4135347a0c37899c273fc0a87f9c0719/Product/View/M1155

The only thing I'm concerned about is it says small appliances up to 25watts. From looking at the BBE manual I think the Sonic Maximizer runs at 8watts (but I'm not 100% sure I'm reading it right). Would this thing do the trick?

Thanks for your patience.

niftydog

that first one - no good, the dick smith one is spot on. Provided, that is, that the socket is the right one to accept the plug on the maximiser.

Or, this one.

To replace the transformer, you first need to work out what the original one is. It may be labeled. If it is, it's just a matter of matching (or beating) all of the specifications, but with a primary rated for 240VAC instead of 110VAC.

You may even find that it already has a tap for 240VAC on the primary, in which case you'd only need to rewire the AC input! But you'd be lucky to find that, and rewiring it could be dangerous to your health.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!

talking_goat

Quote from: niftydogthat first one - no good, the dick smith one is spot on. Provided, that is, that the socket is the right one to accept the plug on the maximiser.

Or, this one.

To replace the transformer, you first need to work out what the original one is. It may be labeled. If it is, it's just a matter of matching (or beating) all of the specifications, but with a primary rated for 240VAC instead of 110VAC.

You may even find that it already has a tap for 240VAC on the primary, in which case you'd only need to rewire the AC input! But you'd be lucky to find that, and rewiring it could be dangerous to your health.

Thanks. I've ordered the JayCar one. I don't think I trust myself to be able to swap transormers without it all ending in tears.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Niftydog is correct, get the Jaycar one, at least there is a chance at Jaycar that the staff are interested in electronics!!
I'm using a 2KW stepdown & a USA plugboard for my gear from across the Pacific..

talking_goat

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)Niftydog is correct, get the Jaycar one, at least there is a chance at Jaycar that the staff are interested in electronics!!
I'm using a 2KW stepdown & a USA plugboard for my gear from across the Pacific..

Thanks. Would it make any difference to the sound using a step down transformer?

niftydog

some might say yes... but they'd be kidding themselves. The reality is that, provided the transformers is working as advertised, there'll be no noticeable difference.

I have heard about step-downs introducing hum. But this may have been a case of a 60Hz transformer being used for 50Hz supply. Only one way to find out!
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!

talking_goat

Thanks for the advice guys.

LinuxMan

Hi.

Erm, without opening another topic... What you are saying is this thing (click)
will work with that Jaycar step down transformer?

I think it would but I'dd rather check before buying... Or if you have a nicer
price... Point it to me.

Cheers
LM

niftydog

Yes, should work.

and that's about as nice a price as you're going to find.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!