Trouble Desoldering.

Started by bazzwazzle, September 01, 2004, 01:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bazzwazzle

Whenever I try to salvage items on a PCB with my desoldering Bulb (that seringe type one from Radio Shack), It never gets ALL of the solder out. It always leave some in the hole. Now what I've been doing is just melting the solder with the iron and then pushing the lead out as i melt the solder. Is this ok?

Nasse

I like desoldering braid, works nice but sometimes almost burns your fingers
  • SUPPORTER

bwanasonic

I use both solder braid and a bulb. The bulb is good for removing large blobs, and the wick is good for final cleanup of that last bit around a hole.

Kerry M

David

Push on the braid with your soldering iron.  Hold the braid by using the reel or whatever packaging it's on.

At least it works for me...

Samuel

I find that the spring loaded one they sell works pretty well - but yeah it's pretty tought to get all the solder off, and there's usually just enough left to adhere the part to the board, as long as you're not holding the iron on so long that you cook the part, their should be no problem...obviously this is more of an issue for ICs and transistors then it is for resistors

GreenEye

I have to desolder a lot, go figure.  I use a braid (nice shiny one), and I make sure to tin the tip of the iron first.   It takes a few times, but most comes off.

niftydog

welcome to desoldering plated through hole, double sided boards...

QuoteNow what I've been doing is just melting the solder with the iron and then pushing the lead out as i melt the solder. Is this ok?

That's fine, provided you don't burn your fingers! Try to rig up something that will hold the board securely for you so you can use the soldering iron and some pliers to grasp the part. Save yourself some burnt fingers.

The other way is to jiggle the lead while the solder is cooling. Done correctly, this prevents the remaining solder from making a bond.

I'm assuming that you are salvaging junked boards? So it doesn't matter if you wreck it? Doing what you are doing is fine for that, but if you intend to reuse the board you really need to get a vacum desoldering station.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

sir_modulus

I wanted some switces and heatsinks frrom a junk board, so I used a propane torch. If you have one and your careful, you can get all non heat sensitive components off (wether or not a component in heat sensitive and it's flamability depends on the user).
Parental supervision is advised.
sideeffects include:
-Headache
-Flushing
-Upset stomach
-Stuffy nose
-Visual changes such as mild and temporary changes in blue/green colors or increased sensitivity to light.
-Diarrhea
-bladder pain
-dizziness
-increased frequency of urination
-death

please do not follow the modulus circuit board stripping program under the influence or around 55 gallon tankers of alcohol.

Lonestarjohnny

You the man Sir Mod, I like it hot and Quick, just heat it up, slam dunk it on the old bench and Wha La, most of it falls out on the bench, what don't, normally a slight tug with the old needlenose and it's finished.
and if your pullin IC's just heat the 1 or 2 pin's while wacking on the bench get's rid of the solder, then I use a seal remover tool you buy at the automotive parts store which is long like a screw driver that is hooked on the end for pryin the IC from the board !
Johnny

Heavyriffing

Buy a desoldering pump from radio shack for about $10 it's the greatest thing & easy too.

Brian Marshall

you know ive tried all kinds of desoldering methods, and unless im trying to save a BBD chip or something of similar value, i just dont even bother.

Especaially with the heat gun method.... i was desoldering a radio my neighbor gave me.  I ended up blowing up some electrolytic caps, and breathing all kinds of fumes.... felt kind of sick for a day or two.

MartyMart

I totally agree with Brian, unless you must have that "mojo" op-amp or analog delay chip, dont bother, new parts will probably "work" and are not expensive at all, generally its pots/knobs/switches that i'd be after !!.
For day to day work solder mop is all i use, just dont get too close to the hot end !! ouch !
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

bazzwazzle

ya it involves salvaging, but ALSO modding of my current effects pedals. So it is important! yesterday i took a resistor out of my wah wah PCB to put one in with a lower value, and the copper around the hole came off. I thought i was screwed, but then I just soldered the lead of the new resistor the other part is was connected to. Worked like a charm. I obviously made sure it would not short or connect to any other parts. That worked. But anyways yes it is important PCB that I'm desoldering from. So it does matter, most of the time, unless salvaging.

If i must get a desoldering vacuum station, if that's the correct name, what is a good one to get for the aspiring young electronics kid.

niftydog

QuoteIf i must get a desoldering vacuum station, if that's the correct name, what is a good one to get for the aspiring young electronics kid.

don't buy a cheap one, it's just not worth it in the end. And don't buy the "all in one" ones. Much better to have a variable temp model with the pump separate from the hand piece.

Ufortunately, "not a cheap one" means "quite an expensive one".

Good brands are PACE (highly recommended), Hako (mmm, some bad experience), Weller (ok-ish, but haven't used their new range).
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

bazzwazzle

Quote from: niftydogwelcome to desoldering plated through hole, double sided boards...

QuoteNow what I've been doing is just melting the solder with the iron and then pushing the lead out as i melt the solder. Is this ok?

That's fine, provided you don't burn your fingers!

lol I meant push it out with the iron as it's heating the solder.

Thanks for the information above I'm going to do a little "price checkup." If they're really expensive I probably cannot purchase one, but I'll check it out on ebay. Got my fingers crossed :D

smoguzbenjamin

Quote from: Sir ModVisual changes such as mild and temporary changes in blue/green colors or increased sensitivity to light.
Sweet! :mrgreen: Forget LSD haha lol :mrgreen:
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.