The Chi-Lites "Have You Seen Her"

Started by jmusser, September 01, 2004, 08:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmusser

I'm working Night shift again, and listening to the oldies. The intro for "Have You Seen Her" came on, and the fuzz on there sounds just like Hemmo's Buzz Box I just made! It is all single string stuff, because that box wrecks chords, but that is the closest application I have heard of that boxe's sound. Played single string, it sounds like a cross between a fuzz and a tight rubber band being "twanged". Way cool! I mostly think of nasty fuzzes being used in classic rock, but you forget that a lot of stuff went on with R&B, and Funk music with vibrato, fuzz, and wha type sounds. I must be easily entertained, because capturing a certain sound dead on is a real thrill for me. Or, maybe it's the fact I'm a fuzz whore!
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

David

Jeff:

Did you tweak that circuit somehow?  I'd always thought that sound was from an envelope filter like a Doctor Q.  See how that thing does on "Come and Get Your Love" by Redbone or "I Like the Nightlife" by The Cars.  If it can hang with those, I might build one myself.  I need that auto-wah sound eventually, but some of the "quacky" discussions lately have put me off.

jmusser

No, I didn't tweak it to get that sound. To me, that Chi-lites sound was strickly buzzy rubber band snap sounding fuzz with out the sort of back ground wha or quack sound of an envelope filter. The "Come and Get Your Love" sound to me almost has a "bongy" synth quality to it. I haven't heard any effects sound samples yet, that really get that sound. Of course all these sounds we create with our effects are subjective to the ear to be sure. I'm not near as schooled as most of these people on here, and I'm sure there are plenty of advanced people on the forum that would say, "Red Bone" used the "Envloptron" developed for the Outer Mongolian Soltice Dance"! I'll have to listen to that again sometime, and see if it actually did have any background enveloping to it, but I don't think so.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Rodgre

Quote from: David"I Like the Nightlife" by The Cars.  

The song "Let's Go" by the Cars is using a synth with what's called a "hard sync" effect. There are a couple of killer circuits out there which do a similar effect for your guitar, namely Tim's Uglyface and John Hollis' Crash Sync.

Cool sounds, unique from an envelope follower effect.

I have to check out the Chi-Lites song to know what you're hearing, but is it possible that it's a Coral electric sitar with fuzz on it?

Roger

jmusser

I have no idea what that term means, but  do like the ugly face sample a lot. It's very unique, and has a huge array of sounds in a small circuit. I guess you may as well know, that I'm a huge Tim Espisito fan, and I plan to make several of his circuits. All of them are simple for the amount of sound you get from them. Like I said, I wasn't hearing anything like a sitar in the Chi-Lites thing. When I think of Sitar stuff, I always think of "Hooked on a Feeling" by B J Thomas. I believe that was done with a Coral Sitar with the sypathetic drone strings. Wasn't that a Danolectric product? "Let's Go" would be more of that Ugly Face "Bonk" type sound for sure. I don't remember anything like that in the Chi-Lites song. Is there a sound sample of the Crash Sync BTW?

jmusser

Duh! Used the web for a John Hollis Crash Sync. He has a lot of nice circuits on there. The sound sample for that circuit is wild! It's also simple, so I'll have to make one. That thing is as much of a sound destroyer as the Buzz Box or the Tycobrahe Octavia, and you gotta love that!