Blue Magic built

Started by Thomas P., September 03, 2004, 08:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nooneknows

I tried the t-shirt paper method but no luck yet. I know I used the 'wrong' paper (the one for white cotton, the other one is impossible to find here in Italy...) but I hoped it worked... no, it didn't.
How did you do it? what temperature, how long etc. etc..
thanks
Marcello

Thomas P.

Quote from: nooneknowsI tried the t-shirt paper method but no luck yet. I know I used the 'wrong' paper (the one for white cotton, the other one is impossible to find here in Italy...) but I hoped it worked... no, it didn't.
How did you do it? what temperature, how long etc. etc..
thanks
Marcello

I tried it once with the one for white cotton but it didn't worked either.
Well I print it and cut it to the right size. Then you have to remove the backpaper.
I lay it on the box with silicon paper on top and iron it with medium heat. You have to take care of the edges! I doesn't take long - just a few minutes - but the box gets quite hot!
god said...
∇ ⋅ D = ρ
∇ x E = - ∂B/∂t
∇ ⋅ B = 0
∇ x H = ∂D/∂t + j
...and then there was light

pildus

What kind of clear coat are you using ?

Thomas P.

I don't have a special brand - I just take what I got :wink:
god said...
∇ ⋅ D = ρ
∇ x E = - ∂B/∂t
∇ ⋅ B = 0
∇ x H = ∂D/∂t + j

pildus

I must say the pedal looks amazing and one couldn't tell it's an home made pedal.

would you mind be more specific about the graphic aspects ? I'm about to create my first pedal and it would really help me alot.

this is my plan as of now:

-coloring with base color, dry (or bake in oven)
-apply clear coat, dry (should a clear coat be baked?)
-iron the t-shirt tranfer graphics
-apply clear coat again, dry
-Drill the holes

is this a sufficient sequence ?

Thomas P.

:shock: STOP THE ENGINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't iron an already painted box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The box will get too hot for the paint and in the end you'll ruin the box and you iron.

The best would be to sand the box till it looks really good. therefor you have to use different paper (finest at last, of course). Afterwards make the box really clean (with a towel and alcohol or something). Now use the t-shirt transfer as you would while doing a t-shirt (don't make the iron too hot).
Really important is not to put the iron on the entire transfer since it would cause bubbles - go from one side to the other. It doesn't take long for the  transfer to stick to the box. You can cut the holes with a sharp knife.
After the box has reached room temperature again apply one coat of clear laquer and let it dry completely (overnight or so). Then do another 3-4 coats to make shure the transfer is well covered.
The only thing that drives me mad is the dust - so make sure you have a really clean room for paint jobs. And whatch out for fingerprints!

Anyway I'm glad you like the pedal and I hope this helps you a bit!
god said...
∇ ⋅ D = ρ
∇ x E = - ∂B/∂t
∇ ⋅ B = 0
∇ x H = ∂D/∂t + j

pildus

I think i got confused ... is the yellow background isn't a colored surface ? is it part of the transfer paper ?

Thomas P.

It's the transfer. Normally it's white but in this case the laquer and the light make it yellow.
I once tried to use  tranfer for light colors but that doesn't work.
god said...
∇ ⋅ D = ρ
∇ x E = - ∂B/∂t
∇ ⋅ B = 0
∇ x H = ∂D/∂t + j

pildus

Tomboy, thank you so much for the help.

I'll try and find a dark fabric transfer paper here in Israel, though i can't recall seen one :-(

Burstbucker

tomboy-

Wow, that's a really fine looking pedal.  Nice job!  Really classy.

Does anybody know if this particular T-shirt transfer stuff is available in Canada?