distorters and compressors

Started by Steben, September 04, 2004, 06:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steben

Hi for the ...th time

Anyone experiences with placing a compressor AFTER a distorter. Can you with proper knob tweaking simulate poweramp SAG with it? It's just a thought...
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

Steben

It's just that I'm seeking some saviour in something like my fet-modded DS-1 idea followed by a sweet compressor...
Everything for the holy grail guys : the solidstate super powerampsimulation...
  • SUPPORTER

toneman

Usually compressor is first in line after guitar.
Just switch plugs 2 try.
i never have tried it *after* the overdrive/fuzz.
tone
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

jrc4558

hi. I don't think you will have any success on emulating the tube rectifier "sag" for the following reason:
compressor deals with the amplitude of the signal (you sure know how it works, but i'll repeat again). Quieter sounds are made louder and vise a versa. But i doesn't change the distortion characteristics or harmonical content of the signal. What you may want to try is perfboard or breadboard a Flatline Compresson by Mr. Hollis and use a couple of 3mm red LEDs just before the volume control to ground. it will give you a more accurate reproduction, but still won't sound the same.
guess that's as close as you'll get.

Steben

Yes of course.
Just thinking of a compression to bring into the deal.
Soft compression can always be achieved by a number of diode pairs in combination with a suitable resistor.

I was thinking of the sound of Brian may in "who wants to live forever". In the middle of it all there's a short solo-riffy that goes from brillant clean to distorted without volume change. It's superb.
  • SUPPORTER