OT:Hammond vibrochamp power and output transformers.

Started by sir_modulus, September 05, 2004, 03:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sir_modulus

anyone know what transformers to use? I really need hammond ones as they are the only ones available here. Thanks.

cd

Look up the Champ transformer specs at www.hoffmanamps.com and cross reference it to the closest Hammond at www.hammondmfg.com.

sir_modulus

It dosen't mention the primary impedence of the OT or the B+ from the PT. Could someone help me out with these? I was thinking a  Hammond 125CSE would make a good output transformer ($42.69 canadian), and a hammond 272X for the power.

a 272X is 310 (I think the B+ of a VibroChamp is 315, so I'm close) @ 70 ma with 6.3 @ 2.4A and 5V @ 2A Is this okay?

The output transformer is what i'm concerned about.

Is it better to but the more expensive hammond ones locally or ship ones in from the US?

cd

Buy local.  With shipping across the border, you always run the risk of getting nicked for duties/customs/taxes which will ruin any savings.  partsconnexion.com is actually OK on pricing, they're in Ontario (but have their prices in $US) but they're still cheaper than US based places I've seen.  

Have you tried a local amp repair place for parts?  In my area I may pay slightly more or less, but even with 15% tax I usually come out ahead or what I'd pay through mail order.  And I get the parts in my hot little hands right away.

Before anyone chimes in about how they've never been charged customs - we had a huge thread on this a couple of months back, everything is covered in there.

125CSE looks OK.  IIRC the primary on a Champ OT is around 7k ohms, with the 125CSE the primary depends on how you wire the secondary, you can try anything from 2500-10000, start with 5000 and see what it sounds like.  IMHO speaker choice is more critical than anything else.

Lonestarjohnny

Go to Angela instruments, he sell s hammond's for the champ, you'll get your part no.'s there, then find a distributor in your part of the world and your in Bizz !  :D
Johnny
http://www.angela.com/

sir_modulus

Will I run into any problems by mixing around the impedences on the transformer? like wiring it for 5000ohms input, and then trying the 10000 ohm input taps? What about this max DC bias bit? and also, finally, do you know any other canndian sites that sell dedicated Champ output transformers?

Thanks a bundle for your help.

cd

If the iron is well built, the only difference you should notice is sonic.  I don't know about the 125 series Hammonds, but their HiFi SE iron is really, really solid.  Same goes for original Fender iron.

Lonestarjohnny

I've been a fan of Pete Traynor's forever, his amps are built like Army tank's, and they alway's had those good Ol oversized Hammond Tranny's, and they always took to modding, never ever lost 1 Hammond tranny in the lat 20 year's, I've even ran a 50 watt in high A/B for over a year, if they'll take that they gotta be good, I do know that if your gigging with Hammond's, they don't like higher than rated voltage. in some place's the joint would be running 136 VAC and the amp would try to overheat and shutdown, I bought a good regulator to solve that problem.
Johnny