Supremetronic

Started by marcipicus, September 06, 2004, 05:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcipicus

Are supreme tronic prices comparable to small bears for resistors and capacitors?

cd

Supremetronic is cheaper, WAY cheaper.  Especially if you're local and factor in the exchange rate and shipping.

jrc4558

Supremetronics on Queen St. ?

5% tolerance 1/2watt resistors are 1c a piece.

Mark Hammer

I would simply note that Steve/Small Bear has a number of things that Supremetronic does not, and the difference in overall shipping cost for splitting up one's component needs into two orders to two vendors (e.g., passive components from Sup., and BBDs and GE trannies from SBE) may well wipe out whatever you can save by buying parts in Canada at Canadian prices.  I'll also note that Steve really makes a conscientious  effort to keep shipping and all other related cross-border costs as low as humanly and legally possible, in contrast to other U.S.-based component-houses that apply a single shipping solution to all orders, whether cost-effective or not.

SBE is set up for e-commerce whereas Supremetronic, while able to fill orders by mail, is really more of a drop-in kind of shopping place.  You can tally up your order and know what it will cost at SBE before you submit it.  The same is not true of Supremetronic; their website merely shows some of what you can get there, sans prices or current availability.  Once you get familiar with them, expect it to be smoother, but it is likely to be a bumpy road for anyone who has never been there and is a first time buyer.  I *like* going there when I'm in Toronto, and unhesitatingly recommend them if you're on foot, or if you're in small-town Canada and have few other choices.  I'm sure the guys down on Queen St. are moving in a suitable direction, but for the moment the few cents more you spend doing mail or e-business with Steve or even Mouser may save you a heap of frustration, though.  If pennies matter, though, you'll save plenty there.

jrc4558

btw, supremetronics has a MN3207 BBD and MN3201clock

LinuxMan

Quote from: Constantin Necrasovbtw, supremetronics has a MN3207 BBD and MN3201clock

Erm, I can get you plenty of MNs for low prices. Click here.

Cheers
LM

jrc4558

The abovementioned two are at 4.99 CAD :)
Not to mocj your prices, they are lower than most places, for shure!
Cheers.

dolhop

If you have a chance to go to the store I really recommend it.  Their prices are unbelievably low.  I work in Markham close to many of the expensive bigger shops like Sayal, Electrosonic and even the smaller Daiwa (run by the miserable chinese guys) is many times more expensive than Supremetronic.  I usually have to go to these guys because of location and time - but when I get to supreme I stock up.

They're really geared towards hobbyist electonics - especially audio stuff.  I was there last week and picked up a bunch of 1/4" jacks - they're mostly under $1 CDN - even the 8 pole  PCB mounts are only $1.55!  They have the X-wing DPDT stomp switches for only $3.50.  Pots are really cheap too.

cd

With the Supremetronic jacks, you get what you pay for.  They're not Switchcraft, you have to have a really light touch with the soldering iron, else the plastic parts melt real easily.

That being said I just replaced a set of their $1 cheapo plugs that went bad after 5 years :)  I splurged this time and bought the $1.95 ones :)