This is the distortion i would like

Started by BodomHatecrew666, September 07, 2004, 03:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BodomHatecrew666

hey guys i found this clip from the line6 web site this is close to what i am after any suggestions (i am getting ready to build the insanity box how will it compare)the sound clip is from the spyder2 amp on the insane setting..  http://www.line6.com/media/SpiderII/audio/Sample12.mp3
well cheers for now need some lunch before i get back to working..
:D

smoguzbenjamin

Uhmm you could try the ROG designs, there was one based off Van Halen's sound/amp, maybe that'll suit your needs ;)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Kilby

Well Insane is an emulation based on an amp that dosn't exist.

Apparently it was a case of what would happen of you pushed an Mesa Boogie too far.

Personally it was the only preset I liked on the Spider combo that I owned for a while (I hated the "marshal" and crunch models so much)

If you want that sound you will have to go for modelling (though I prefer the Pandora to the Pod). But you could go for the UNO @ runoffgroove.

I now have a Fender blues Jr and a marshal AVT 50 (though I never use the marshall these days)

Rob...

petemoore

Yupp, has that digital 'bass only penetrates 'when'..tone, like reverse compression or reverse gating on the bass and a 'cleaner than the treble' sound to it...treble slices upon attack amplitudes...etc.
 I think DIY-ing that with analog circuits would be a long hard road [that possibly only goes close to 'it']...I wonder if it sounds like the clip when driving a big amp that's trying to drive speakers hard.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

RDV

Samuel

The California setting of the SansAmp GT-2 project over at Tonepad is the closest I've heard an analog pedal get to that style of crunch. Probably won't have the overhyped bass found in some of the Line6 emulations, but definitely has that heavy metal tone...

Gringo

You could also try the obsidian or blackfire from joe davisson to get something quite similar.
Cut it large, and smash it into place with a hammer.
http://gringo.webhop.net

RDV

BodomHatecrew666

Yeah RDV that is a sweet sounding pedal (a nasty little demon ) :twisted: i realy like it i think i will attempt it but i would like to do the full version with the eq so i can dial in my sound better since i am playing through a SWR bass amp i think that might be a good match the amp will add some low tones to the pedal but i like the sustain in the clips 206 was nice i think i will try it but i might still need to plug it into a second pedal to try and add some more insanity but it seems damn heavy but i will have to make it and see how it works with my playing style. i would like to keep mids down to a minimal but i like some low end grunt and the piercing highs a little mid but not alot.

well ill giver a go when i get all the parts there seems to be a few ill have to dig up ..

BodomHatecrew666

would it be posible to split the signal through the eq as soon as it enters the pedal and then send it in two different pathways to different stages of distortion like say run the bass tones  the nice low chugg and run it through one distortion and then take the highs and mids through a different one with maby more gain than the bass one and then rejoin the signals or would i just have to use a line splitter  and just run the two signals to different eq's or just a simple DB cut set at a specific level or hrz and then to there own pedals and then somehow rejoin the two and maby eq it all again for good measures i dont know but any help would be sweet... if there is some literature on this kind of thing i would realy like to read it or if im just talking BS .. just slap me and ill wake up..

RDV

BodomHatecrew666

Yeah thats the idea so does the roseyray sound as good as yours the HMP if not how hard would it be to take the idea from rosey and with the low pass and high pass filters and implement them into your design (no offence on your design it is a killer pedal sounds awsome) or should i do the rosey ray then have two outputs one for the highs and send the highs and mids through the HMP and then back to the rosey for a remix and re-out them to the amp. i know i am probably trying to do things more complicated then have to be done but i am newer to the DIY effects i do basic electronics but never with sound signals so i dont know what is the most efficiant way to get the sound i want. i almost think haveing two different compressions one for the highs and one for the lows would be cool to and could add some real dimention to the sound. i like twisting nobs and adjusting to get the right sound..
is there a sound clip of the rosey..
sorry for the  stupid Q's but i would realy like to learn about this.