Convert schematic to PCB layout? Software?

Started by markr04, September 07, 2004, 09:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markr04

Anyone aware of software to convert schematics (even if I have to input them manually) to an efficient PCB layout?
Pardon my poor English. I'm American.

niftydog

as in, let the software decide where to put components and run tracks?

Protel claims to be able to do this. Protel is a world leading (read; expensive) schematic/PCB package.

It does a crap job of automatically laying out pcbs. Like, so crap that I have never heard of anyone coming up with a useable pcb automatically.

I'm afraid that as far as I'm aware, software is just not up to the job.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

Mike Burgundy

Yes and no - yes, there are packages that will "auto-route" for you, but no, these will not, even the pro stuff, be really efficient.  Auto-routing usually falls into the expensive category as well.
There are however a lot of good packages that, with certain limitations, allow you to do a lot with a freeware version. I prefer Eagle CAD. No autorouting, limited board size (ample for stompbox stuff) but freeware and very good.
hih

travissk

The electronics workbench people have some software that will attempt to auto-route. Some of the labs at school have this (I think), and as soon as I get around to declaring my major I think I get 24/7 access :)

For the freeware side of things, ExpressPCB will sort of link up with ExpressSCH so you can see which pads have to link to each other. I have used that, and while I'm not great at laying stuff out by hand it is pretty easy to use.

markr04

Thanks for all of your input. I downloaded that CadSoft Eagle freebie - thanks for the tip!

More software to learn. Grrr... I just want this Phuncgnosis schematic layed out.

Well, that which comes easy ain't always worth it anyway. I'll bite the bullet.

bwanasonic

For a simple layout, you will have a much shorter learning curve with Express PCB, than with Eagle. Long term, Eagle is a more powerful package, but it's not real user friendly. Express PCB is also freeware, so why not check it out?

Kerry M

markr04

Quote from: bwanasonicFor a simple layout, you will have a much shorter learning curve with Express PCB, than with Eagle. Long term, Eagle is a more powerful package, but it's not real user friendly. Express PCB is also freeware, so why not check it out?

Kerry M

Thanks Kerry. I downloaded it. Problem is, I don't know how to make the traces different colors. That sure helps the more complex ones make sense when drawing it out.

Mike Burgundy

different colors only work if you use different layers in both programs I think - and you don't want multi-layer boards.
I don't agree on the learning curve - I tried express, and never got the hang of it whilst I got to grips with Eagle in a couple of days.
If you have any questions, ask. I can get you started.

Paul Marossy

I'll agree that Eagle isn't that hard to use. But I work with all kinds of programs, so maybe I have a more intuitive approach to the whole thing. I do remember it was kind of a pain finding the parts I want in the library, but I figured it out in a couple of days.

freebird1127

Actually, I use Protel daily, I find that the new version (DXP) works quite well IF YOU TAKE THE TIME to set up the autorouter properly.  However, as mentioned earlier by niftydog, you'll need a hypermound of dough to get your hands on it.
Evan Haklar
What's the difference between incompetence and indifference?  I don't know and I don't care!

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I've had people laying out stuff for my commercial fx, and even using Protel, there is no point using the autoroute function foir mission-critical stuff like keeping lfo ticks out, leakagfe from RingMod oscillators, ground loops etc. Protel (or similar) is useful if you are using a factory to make the vboartds, because the board people demand a file! plus, you get schematic drawing and checking and list of materials etc. BUT, for our stuff, I am sorry (you can't imagine HOW sorry!) but, you have to lay it out by hand, preferably taking the advice in THE BOOK. At least the $2000 worth of protel (or the free PCBexpress) helps you draw straight lines and little circles.

Mike Burgundy

THE BOOK being RG's excellent piece, I reckon.
See his site for details

Gilles C

I would also like to add that the new version of PCB123 that is working only on Windows 2000, 2003, XP looks very good.

I normally use Eagle, but I always like to try new versions of programs.

I'll see how it compares with Eagle when I design a new pcb.

http://www.pcb123.com/pcb123compare.php

Gilles

www.gtechblues.ca