MXR anolog delay boards on eBay?

Started by coffee-sipper, September 07, 2004, 10:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coffee-sipper

I have been wanting to build a pt80 for sometime now but I just can't seem to find the time.  Has anyone baought one of these anolog converted to digital delay boards off of eBay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41415&item=3746394878

I have seen this come up before but no one mentioned it.  I have also heard some stories about people buying some bad old MXR stuff off of eBay.
Noisician for hire.

bioark

Quote from: coffee-sipperI have been wanting to build a pt80 for sometime now but I just can't seem to find the time.  Has anyone baought one of these anolog converted to digital delay boards off of eBay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41415&item=3746394878

I have seen this come up before but no one mentioned it.  I have also heard some stories about people buying some bad old MXR stuff off of eBay.

Very interesting.
Is it advisable to change one ra5101 into one pt2399?
I imagine that it is not a good idea...
Of all forms since like can I realize the swapping?

JT

These guys are th ereal deal and will not steer you wrong. I have bought  a Bunch of MXR stuff  from them and it has all been good. They came into an MXR warehouse or somethign a few years back and have tons of stuff that they haven't even gone through. I bought 2 MXR phase 100 boards and they are great . Seems they are having a hard time selling this board because of the mod as the price has dropped a lot since they first listed it

Johnny Guitar

While it doesn't look like a bad deal at all (I mean $50 isn't much), I wonder what kind of delay would have only three knobs (and a stereo output). I have an MXR Flanger which (as we all know) has four knobs. Maybe this was to be a chorus or something.

J

Mark Hammer

As I recall, the originals had only 3 controls, as was common/typical for most delay pedals at the time.

In principle, a PT2399 replaces any 4096-stage BBD with respect to delay time attainable.  Given that the MXR design implemented a tracking filter system that rolled off more highs as you increased delay time, I can't imagine that the sound quality of the delay signal would be audibly different, especially in gigging conditions.

My concern, though, is for those unshielded leads hanging off the copper side of the board, between the PT2399 and the rest of the circuit.  In BBD-based devices, or anything where analog and digital signals have to live as neighbours, layout is critical to keeping noise and clock whine at bay.  I'm not saying this board is the kiss of death (and certainly their use of a 571 compander will help out greatly), but clearly the location of the PT2399 is much more a function of where it could physically fit on the existing board, than a question of where it needed to be to keep clock noise minimal.

I'd wait for comments from users regarding noise.  If noise isn't a problem, though, a decent buy.  You *could*  whip up a PT80 for less, but the tracking filter on the original MXR is a very clever feature that is almost worth paying $50 for on its own.