what are these parts?

Started by marrstians, September 08, 2004, 03:02:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marrstians

i've seen a couple of parts lately but i don't know what they are... one looks like a resistor but just has a black band and that's it... is it just a jumper? also i have a silver, metal looking cap... the markings on it are 100 over u(backwards)22... any ideas?

niftydog

the resistors looking thing is a zero ohm resistor... or a jumper. They make 'em like that so that auto placing machines don't have to retool to place jumpers.

a backwards u? Like this ­µ? That's the symbol for "micro". And it looks like a (naked) cap without it's plastic covering?

I'm willing to bet 22µF 100V. What are it's dimensions, roughly?
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

marrstians

that's what i was thinking, 22uf, but it seemed a little small... it's about the same size as a normal .0xx cap... maybe 1/2 inch...

Ge_Whiz

The u replaces the decimal point, so it'll be 0.22uF or 220nF. (Similarly 1k2 would indicate a 1.2 k ohm or 1200 ohm resistor.)

niftydog

ok, revise. 220nF I guess is plausible.  half inch high cylinder?
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

petemoore

My cap 'measuring device' [actually just a 'comparator'] consists of sockets in a working circuit...one can usually get an idea of a cap value by it's appearance or marking, then I just stick it in an input socket or emitter bypass position to see what it does in comparison to known values...works for me...being I'm not generally concerned with exacting values and know what I want or expect to hear a cap do in a given position.
  Unknown resistors values are known by measuring resistance with DMM.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.