Which of rog Bazz Fuss is your favorite (& why)?

Started by Mann, September 08, 2004, 03:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mann

Which of ROG Bazz Fuss is your favorite? http://home-wrecker.com/
Intending to build one of those and looking for a very fuzzy 60's/70's
sound (instead of another million component overdrive...)

MartyMart

Hi Mann,
Just made the "Buzz Box" and i think its really good, gives that nice '70's "fuzz/funk" sound and also very "synth like" on extreme settings/slides down the neck.
Takes 20 mins to wire up so . . . . . . .
Enjoy,
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

nordine

another vote for the buzz box
it's crunchy, brassy, nasty, and, as said, gives some cool synthy tones

Mann

Did you use ge-diode and do you think it's necessary?
(I don't think I can find any here where I live)

nordine

for me, being mostly a tone-destroyer type guy, the Ge thing wasn't a big issue..... tried with parallel Si diodes, LEDs, and others, and got always good meat grinder fuzz (well, not always... sometimes you get only farts and lo-fi crap, but, hey, you could need them... someday).......the best of this fx, is that it reminded me of a VST plugin fuzz i never heard in "real life" (and wanted badly to emulate)

lightningfingers

Buy a schottky diode, they're common enough and have about the same forward voltage drop as germanium. :D
U N D E F I N E D

MartyMart

Hey Mann,
PM me with your details and i'll send you a few tomorrow if you like OK?      ( germanium diodes )
I have about 30 of them so i can loose a few !  hope it helps?
Regards,
Marty :D
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

nightingale

i think the "deluxe" version sounds amazing!
hth,

i build  it without the transformer tho..
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

brett

Either the deluxe, with the Darlington tranny, or try the Whisker Biscuit, which is a Bazz Fuss with a Big Muff tone control - that is a *really* excellent circuit.  The WASP on my webpage is very similar to the Whisker Biscuit (parallel evolution!), but has a little more scoop to the mids, so it's suited to heavier rock.  

Actually, all of these circuits are hot  :twisted:

have fun
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

GreenEye

MERRY ROCKMAS!

Just built a version of the original Bazz Fuss, with the following: 0.22 uF input cap, 0.1 uF output cap, one 19N14 diode, and the 2N3904 tranny.  The 4.7 uF input cap was a little tooooo much bass attack.  I actually like how the unit clips the high notes and doesn't sustain them.  It also blocks pick squeels, to keep me from falling back on them all the time like I normally do.  At first, I wasn't sure if I liked the "synth sound," as ROG called it, but I keep plugging in and coming up with killer 70s riffs, so I give the ORIGINAL a thumbs up!

I tried to stick in Radio Shack's darlington tranny (with a 10K resistor instead of the 100K), but the prongs didn't fit into my sockets; I also tried to solder some lead wires coming off the prongs, but that didn't work either.  Oh well.  I'll try some others down the road, since everyone seems to swear by the MPSA13.

I put it in a small Christmas tin I had laying around, with a super-bright LED on the top.  It looks pretty funny:

Peter Snowberg

Eschew paradigm obfuscation

MartyMart

Thats great !
I just thought of using old "tobacco' tins, which are about twice the size of an "Altoids" tin, so you could get a decent project in one,
Cool.
Marty.

Marcos - Munky

Cool!! Do you have a switch in it? I still have the board of my first effect, a Bazz Fuss with 10uF caps, using the Hemmo's original schematic. The Buzz Box is greater than the Bazz Fuss. I built two, using 10K resistors in one and 100K resistors in the other, and Si diodes. Both sounds great. The Ge diode is to get a little octave up sound, I think.

GreenEye

Thanks!  I didn't put any switches on it.  I figured I'd just use it around the house, so I just plug and play.  Simpler the better for this newbie.  At home, I'm either in a "clean" or "distorted" mood, and don't really switch back and forth.  Instead of an external volume knob, I used a mini pot on the board that I set and forget.

also, thanks for the Buzz Box tip - I'm going to try that one.