Beginner question

Started by scatterbrain, September 08, 2004, 07:18:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scatterbrain

So, I wanted to build the EA Tremolo from www.generalguitargadgets.com.
I already have all the parts but I have a question.
When I look at this:
Wiring diagram

What is that what I have hemmed pink (and put a question mark)?? Where all the black wires are connected? Can I make this with my copper-clad-board (I have the same as used in the Beginners Project)? And how?

That is really harder than I have thought..  :?

I hope you can help me.. and sorry for my bad English

thomas2

that's the grounding point where the - from the battery and power supply is connected.
tee se itse tai kuole

thomas2

and yes.. you can use the same copper clad board if you want. just make sure everything that's supposed to be grounded are connected together.

and your english is very good btw  :lol:
tee se itse tai kuole

petemoore

First PRoject??
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

scatterbrain

Thanks for the replies. So, what exactly does grounded mean? When I know that I can finally start doing this 8)

And yes, this is my first project. On ggg they said it was simple  :D

AL

Check out the FAQ at the top of the page. There is a lot of good info you'll need to wrap your head around. :)

AL

scatterbrain

Ok, another question. I have built the circuit board now, so the wiring is next. But I don't have a DC-jack... can I somehow elude this, so that I only have the battery, without a DC-jack? (look at the wiring diagram) If so, how?  :?

AL

Yep you can leave it out - no problem. I can't seem to open your diagram to give you a detailed account. I am looking at JD's wiring diagram from general guitar gadgets (3PDT switch and DC Jack) Just leave out the DC Jack - connect the + battery terminal directly to the board. If you look at the wiring diagram on the same site for the Kay Tremolo it uses a DPDT switch and no DC Jack.

AL

scatterbrain

Quote from: ALJust leave out the DC Jack - connect the + battery terminal directly to the board.

Umm.. yeah.. but where should I connect the - battery terminal? To the board or the the input jack? :? and what about the LED? Cause there are 2 red wires coming out of the DC jack.. one to the board and one to the 4k7 Resistor that is connected with the LED Indicator... *confused*

Now that I look at it I guess I should've built the Kay Tremolo  :D

AL

Well, I still can't open your diagram for some reason. There are a good bit of diagrams on the ggg link page that I posted. Those should clear some things up hopefully. What type of switch are you using? DPDT or 3PDT? Are you planning on using an LED?

AL

scatterbrain

Here is a link to the diagram that should be working.

The pictures on the ggg page you have posted all don't have LEDs and I'm planning to use one. It's not really necessary though because I should notice when playing if the Tremolo is on/off...

I think I have a 3PDT footswitch... What's the difference between 3PDT and DPDT? I mean, how do I recognize what I have, I didn't pay attention to that when I bought the parts because the bill of materials said 3PDT or optionally DPDT  :wink: [/url]

AL

Wow, I gotta give you credit. You're diving right in. OK let's try this. Go to the Beginner Project section on the main forum page. Click on the Switches/Bypass/etc. thread. There are some very good pictures of wiring diagrams for 3PDT switches and the board hookups.

The 3PDT (triple pole/double throw) has 9 lugs (it's the blue switch w/ red underneath the lugs). A DPDT (double pole/double throw) switch only has 6 lugs. A 3PDT makes it very easy to hook up an LED w/out additional circuitry. A DPDT requires a small, additional circuit if you are going to use an LED. Take a look at the picture and diagram and then "insert" your circuit.

AL

AL

I just got your second link open. The additional wires you are referring to on the DC jack are the +9V wires(red) and ground (black). If you look at the schematic +9V is hooked to R2 and R4 (560K and 4.7K) the diagram is the same. Again, just remove the DC jack and connect the LED to the spot where the DC jack was connected to +9V (560K and 4.7K). You won't need the ground wire for the LED. You're hook-up should look like this http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/switch_lo_3pdt_tb_battery.gif

How are we doing?

AL

fishdds

Connect the (-) on the battery to the sleeve or middle connector on a stereo input jack, and then connect the ring connector on the jack to the ground of your circuit.  That way, the circuit is interrupted until you plug in a guitar cable, which completes the circuit, turning it "on".  The red from the 4.7k resistor goes to the (+) of the LED and just put a black wire from the (-) of the LED to ground of circuit.  This way, the LED comes on, like the circuit, when you plug in the guitar to the input.

scatterbrain

Ok, I got that. Thanks a lot. Gonna do the wiring tomorrow.
Now that I look at it, I should've been able to work that out myself. But nevermind..  I doubt it will all work though but there's hope.  :wink:

scatterbrain

Shit. I just found out that I have a DPDT switch.  :oops:
Can I just omit the first row where it says "bypass" and "Sw1" on the wiring diagram I posted or will I have to do everything different?

Edit: Ok, I think I've answered the question myself.. with this.

scatterbrain

Ok, back with another question.

Is it correct that in this diagram the point where the green wire from the switch and C8 meet is the circuit board input? And that the point where the blue wire from the volume poti and C2 meet is the output?
Just want to be sure because it doesn't work... there's sound when it's in bypass mode but when I switch the effect on, the LED goes on but the sound is dead.