News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

MORE AXIS

Started by brian wenz, September 08, 2004, 03:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steben

In European figures, I use BC108A's and BC547A's. They are very rare in local shops. On the net they are easily ordered though. Their gain goes from 90 to 160. I do not know the American names or alternatives.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

brett

For hFE 100 to 150 I use BD139s.  Power tranny.  Transistors with significant power-handling or that high-speed switch leak current to base and have low hFE compared with other trannies.  
Anybody with early 2N3055s might have great transistors for Q1 or Q2 in an NPN fuzzface (low hFE low bandwidth).  

cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

b_rogers

hey nightingale i walked into the mom and pop junk store down the street and they had 2 of those warming plates just like yours!  i got them both for $2!    SCORE.

i also went to my local small music store and played all of the new traynor combos and about 4 new hiwatt combos..i LOVED the little 1X12 20 hiwatt  tube amp...really nice with all controls at 6.

Brent
homegrown, family raised couch potatoes. temperament unsurpassed.
http://electricladystaffs.com/

Steben

Quote from: brettFor hFE 100 to 150 I use BD139s.  Power tranny.  Transistors with significant power-handling or that high-speed switch leak current to base and have low hFE compared with other trannies.  
Anybody with early 2N3055s might have great transistors for Q1 or Q2 in an NPN fuzzface (low hFE low bandwidth).  

cheers

I just looked some things up in my dad's old tranny library books...
Seems the AD1xx family (same as above but germanium) have very very nice graphs (very smooth knee voltage etc...). But where to find them these days  :roll: Silicon BCX70's are very interesting too (yet very low gain= 30-50!). :?
  • SUPPORTER

Steben

Quote from: brettFor hFE 100 to 150 I use BD139s.  Power tranny.  Transistors with significant power-handling or that high-speed switch leak current to base and have low hFE compared with other trannies.  

cheers

I just looked some things up in my dad's old tranny library books...
Seems the AD1xx family (same as above but germanium) have very very nice graphs (very smooth knee voltage etc...). But where to find them these days  :roll: Silicon BCX70's are very interesting too (yet very low gain= 30-50!). :?
  • SUPPORTER

swt

hi guys!!. I've made my axis with motorola 2n3906/4, and it's got exact the same voltages as the original one, not no mention it sounds great in an old marshall type amp. It makes a difference with the crappy generic ones. I think it makes something with the bias.

Doug_H

nightingale

Quotehey nightingale i walked into the mom and pop junk store down the street and they had 2 of those warming plates just like yours! i got them both for $2! SCORE.

very cool~
i bought one on ebay recently, but it was not a bargain of any sort.. with shipping and all.. but i love those things.. it just looks like something good is going to happen when you step on it!

QuoteI usually mess around with different BC trannys [Bc 182, 183, 184.....etc] and they sound real good in fuzz circuits.
Where did you snag those si trannys??? I'd like to get some low-gain si and mess with 'em.
Brian.

brian~
there is a place i can pick up some BC type tranny's.. i plan to grab a couple specifically for the axis.. i'll let you know how it goes..
i think i remebmer you mentioning in an older thread that that was the only way to go...

QuoteI've made my axis with motorola 2n3906/4, and it's got exact the same voltages as the original one

swt~
where are the "original voltages" posted? i havn't seen those yet..

i have been using my axis exclusivly lately.. my 3knob tonebender took a dive right before a show the other night.. temperature issues i believe!
i had to use a cranked rat for a whole show.. it actually sounded pretty good after i got used to it.. anyway, i have been using the axis circuit full time.. i mostly play heavy rhythm fuzz on all of our songs.. just a couple parts that i play cleaner/brighter.. i just roll of the volume on the axis..

has anyone ever noticed the octave you can get sometimes with the volume rolled off and the right guitar/amp settings?

this post is starting to sound like a RM advertisement.. ha!
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
  I think I posted the readings from an original Axis on an old thread.  If you can't find it I'll dig 'em up and post them again.  I've never used BC trannys in an Axis.....just about everything else, though!   My stock Axis has Fairchilds in it.......sounds pretty good.
Heyy...somebody else build the Axis with a BS-170 and let me know how you like it!
Brian.