Need help changing switches... please!!!

Started by otokomae, September 08, 2004, 08:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

otokomae

Sorry everybody, I had posted the exact same thing in the Beginnners Project forum earlier as I had in the Building Stompboxes area.  Thanks to Aron for his help. Since I already have a thread going in this forum about the same subject, I thought it might be best to just cancel this one.  Thanks!!!

aron

Well, think about it. If there were only 2 wires going to the old switch then it probably just connected the 2 wires together or disconnected them.

To test this theory touch the 2 wires together and see if it the BOSS bypasses and or engages and then disconnected the wires.

If everything works, then all you have to do is wire the the two wires onto the DPDT.

You need to know how a DPDT works. Consult this page:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/articles/elbypass.html

This _should_ work, BUT there's one problem I could see. Perhaps the BOSS switch is a momentary switch.... In that case, you cannot use the DPDT, you need a momentary SPST switch. To test this, put a meter across the lugs on the BOSS switch and set the meter to continuity. Switch the BOSS switch and see if the switch switches back and forth between a connection and none or if it always connects and disconnects with each press.

hmmmm I just read this thead in the FAQ forum:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=259

According to the thread, it is momentary. You cannot use that DPDT switch unless you build a bypass box or figure a way to rewire the BOSS effect to always be on and then rewire the entire circuit for true bypass.

I will move this to the main forum.

bazzwazzle

heh, just to let you know, you posted this in the "Building Your Own Stompbox" forum and not the beginner forum. I bet a moderator will move it for you though ;)

EDIT: Oh sorry Aron didn't see your move there. ^_^

otokomae

yeah, actually I put it in the "Beginners" forum first, but a moderator just moved it over here to the "Building..." forum, because I thought I might get better help here (or maybe it was just a little off topic over there).

bazzwazzle